Newly Built DeskTop Does not install WinXP

• Thul
  • Thul

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi. Very inexperienced guy. I bought all the components to build myself a desktop. The motherboard I used is a Gigabyte 7NF-RZ, an AMD Sempron 3000+, 80 Gig HDD, a Leadtek GEFORCE FX5200 256MB AGP, 2 X 512 MB RAM, 56 K Modem and an ISDN Modem. I hope I gave sufficient hardware stuff.

After connecting everything as instructed I booted up. After memory test and POST, nothing happens. I went into the BIOS setup, except changing the date and also the Boot sequence so that the computer boots from my spanking new Win-XP CD, I did not alter anything else. I then booted to install Win-XP Pro. The computer boots up to a message that says " Please wait whilst setup assesses your system's configuration...." or something to that effect. Then nothing happens, even I wait 3 hours.

Please help!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did you boot to the installation disk that came with your hard drive and run the installation software?
Doublecheck all your connections/power cords to make sure they are in tight.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Restore your BIOS back to its original booting sequence.

If your just installing XP for the first time, switch your PC on, insert the CD and restart your PC. The BIOS will run through the boot sequence and automaticaly pick up the disc. Let it run its course and you should be fine. Dont forget to remove the disc once the install has been run.

If your trying to get into XP whilst the disc is in and you BIOS is set to search your optical drive before your HDD, it will keep reading the CD.
  • Thul
  • Thul

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the prompt response. Before fiddling with the BIOS, I followed your recommendation. The computer simply becomes blank without attempting to reach for the WinXP disc, despite that the Minitower appears active. The screen does not show any activity other than backround light. I have tried " loading default settings " nothing happens.
  • Thul
  • Thul

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
Did you boot to the installation disk that came with your hard drive and run the installation software?
Doublecheck all your connections/power cords to make sure they are in tight.

Hi ATNO/TW. Missed your response somehow. When I bought the HDD, It did not come with an installation disc. I will go to Seagate.com to see if there is anything there for me to download. I did check all connections, they appear good.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does the BIOS recognize your CD-ROM drive? It should list the model and whether it is Master or Slave.

If you hard drives are SATA, it may be because there isn't driver support built in for SATA in some cases.
  • dakipsy
  • Born
  • Born
  • Loc: Belgrade/Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did you made a partition on your hdd? The setup will not instal win xp if you didnt do this. Try to do this.
  • Thul
  • Thul

Post 3+ Months Ago

My BIOS seems to recognise both my DVD and CDR drives. They are listed by name. It also sees the A-drive and the HDD. About partiotioning, I have heard about it but do not have a clue what it requires. I had used a similar HDD to upgrade ( by replacementon) in an older PC. In that instance I had to clean install WinXP and other drivers. It was a smooth ride.
  • lhuser
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hear this:

for your HDD, you will have the oppotunity to format it during setup.

As for the freezing, is yoour CD drive reading? Have you restarted several times to see if it would work

And I saw you have an AMD Sempron eh? I wonder if XP recognize it, but if I'm mistaken, forget this one.

If it still does not work... Get a Windows 98 startup disk, type A:\fdisk and select 1 to create a disk partition, then 1 again. Use the maximum capacity available. Restart the computer and boot from the windows 98 startup diskette, type A:\format c: then press Y.

After the format, type A:\smartdrv. Then, enter the Windows XP CD and type:

X:\I386\winnt.exe
(X: is your CD drive depending on how many you have. It can be D:, E: )

Type the drive of your CD drive and it will search for you. Just wait until it finishes and then it should reboot. Take out the Windows XP CD and your Hard drive should boot and you shall be able to install XP

If you have any more problems, post and we'l help you
  • Thul
  • Thul

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am going mad with this computer. What Ihuser is suggesting might contain a lot of truth. Before I saw your post, I remembered that I could clean instal Win98 SE anyway I wanted in my old PCs. I then tried to install it in this 'machine'. What do you know, it asked to format and then proceeded to fully install after formating! When I tried to upgrade to WinXP Pro, I got the Welcome WinXP screen , the " preparation " and that. When the system reboots it gets to that " Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration..." screen. From here on nothing happens. Both my CD and HDD drive appear idle at this stage. If I remove the WinXP CD and force-reboot, the computer gives me an option of continuing with XP setup or just going into Normal Windows Startup. If I choose XP Setup, I get the freeze. However Win 98 startsup properly. In Win98, erverything seems to work properly. The setup problem also occurs with an XP Home Upgrade and XP Pro Full instal.

Tonight and over the weekend, I am goining to properly try Ihuser's suggestions.
  • Thul
  • Thul

Post 3+ Months Ago

I GOT IT ! :D My new desktop has taken in Win XP Pro. I stubbled on the solution by mistake. After intalling Win 98 SE, :idea: I decided try testing the computer after removing some of the hardware, one at a time. By hardware 2, I noticed that on bootup the PC sometimes froze or developed a checkered screen. I replaced the graphics card with one from my kids' computer. What do you know, everything looked better. No more freezes. When I tried to install WinXP on Win 98, the process was seamless. After formating again, I could clean instal WinXP Pro. In Fact I am connected to the web using the same previously problamatic built. I am glad I could not find my hammer when I looked for it. The graphics card that I replaced works well on my kids computer. They say it plays games better. I think theirs types my letters better.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts