noisy graphics card

• wookey
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well the fan on my new graphics card is becoming a nusience, making a lot of noise and the such like,
now i've checked to see if its mounted securely, clear of obstruction, and it is as far as i can tell, the strange thing is that if you remove the card, examining/prodding the fan, (turning the card over and around in the process) and then replace it, it will run virtually silently again for a number of minutes before becoming noisy again,... now its not too late to get this card changed, but obviously i'm not overly keen because its a hassle and will leave me with no card for a while,
does this sound like a pretty un-fixable problem? i'm guessing it would be sensible just to send it back :?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

it depends, what card is it, some cards are known for being really noisy.

poly
  • beings
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

what kind of a noise is it? does it just sound like a loud fan or a squeaky fan? if its squeaky there is a way to make is stop. if you buy sewing machine oil (its not flamable) and add a very tiny bit to the inter part of the fan where its spins it may stop the loud noise (i mean a very very tiny bit and make sure you dont get it anywhere else). NVIDIA cards are very very loud as default so that might just be your problem and the oil thing wont help with that. my computer has a total of 13 fans and it is quite quiet.
  • wookey
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: England

Post 3+ Months Ago

mm, well thanks for the ideas, :/ well its not squeaky, thats for sure, more of a noisy rattle as if somethings vibrating against something, which it isnt because iv'e checked :/, blergh, maybe it is just a noisey card, i wouldn't find it so suspicious if it had done it from new, as it started doing it a few weeks after i bought it i'm a little more wary .
  • TheBecoming
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • TheBecoming

Post 3+ Months Ago

You're fan might be dying. Mine started to make noise. Every time I touched the middle of the fan it would stop making noise. Few minutes later it would start. I could hear my fan slowing down too. Better to buy a $20-30 fan then a $200 video card.
  • keke
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.gamepc.com/labs/print_conten ... e%5Ftest=1 any computer insulator will work I have the same problem any noise bothers me ... i use this on my server
  • bennyhanna
  • Born
  • Born
  • bennyhanna

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had upgraded my graphics card to a generic wal-mart brand 64MB PCI card.... and after about 6 months, it started making a horrible loud grinding/buzzing noise. I assumed it was the fan. I would remove the card and clean it with a PC dust remover can of air, and replace it. I would be noise free for a couple of days.

Eventually, this would only work for one day at a time, so I completely removed the fan and used WD-40... It lasted another 7 months noise free. However, the noise came back. And this time wouldn't be fixed so easily. I eventually just cut the fan wire (on the graphics card).

I recently just upgraded to an XTASY ATI 9250 128MB graphics card, which has run well for the past month or so... but now this one is making the noise as well, I assume from dust accumulation in the fan.

Is it safe for me to unplug the fan power? Any suggestions short of opening my computer every day and doing a pre-clean?

Thanks!

BB
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

no, i would clean the card, and then take a piece of plastic and cut breathing wholes in it and replace it over the top of the fan. This will help keep dust out of it(if the fan is on the top of the card) if the fan is on the bottom, you will just need to clean it. (if you cant see it yet, ati sucks buy nvidia)

poly
  • keke
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah get rid of all of your fans and just install a central cooling system check this one out for a cool 210 u.s dollars
  • keke
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/revi ... U01_1.html
  • haggiseater
  • Born
  • Born
  • haggiseater

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes i no what you mean about the noise i have the exact same problem its like a droneing nois coming from my 9800pro fan tryed cleaning the dust ect off it poped it bak in but it is worse now can i fit a new fan on this or what does the fan come apart easily on the graphics card as i dont want to completley f*k it im a noob when it comes to hard ware anyone help me?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts