Not able to Format Hard Drive

• dileeprao
  • dileeprao

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a desktop and a laptop that I use regularly. I have a second hard drive on the desktop that I copy my important files from the laptop to. It is a slave drive, and has not given me problems until now.

Recently, when just dumping a bunch of files from the My Documents folder on my laptop, I accidentally moved some restore files from "system volume information" directory. Now, my hard drive won't let me put new files on it, or even erase old ones. It simply goes back to the old configuration. Sometimes, the new files would appear to be there, but opening them would open an older and completely unrelated file.

Anyway, I thought I would just format the darn thing and move my data back to it. This is not being allowed. A full format fails. A quick format appears to work, but the system volume info folder still remains. I can't gain access to the darn thing to erase it. It is driving me nuts. I tried staring in safe mode from the command prompt, but the format fails there too. The checkdisk runs and doesn't find anything wrong with it.

Anybody have a suggestion?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

moved to hardware

you might want to search ozzu because formatting questions are very very popular and have
been asked numerous times.
  • dileeprao
  • dileeprao

Post 3+ Months Ago

Unflux:

Didn't see this problem anywhere. most of the formatting problems were for a C drive. This is a slave drive, and seems to have corrupt system volume info that I am unable to get rid of.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

i see -- you're right, it is a different problem and I should have read it more thoroughly. My apologies.

do you have the option of putting the slave drive as the primary and formatting that
way? then moving it back to the slave position? That's the direction I would try.
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try this; You need to have adiminstrator rights:

From an explorer window, select Tools, Folder Options and go to the View tab. Uncheck 'Hide protected operating system files' and 'Use simple file sharing'. Click ok.

Now, right click on the 'System Volume Information' folder. Select the Security tab. Enter your administrator username or 'Administrator' depending on what account name you are logged on with. Click ok. Now, check 'Full Control' and click ok. You should now be able to delete this folder. I'm not sure, however, of why this would prevent you from formatting the drive. You should try Unflux's suggestion if it still gives you trouble.

Hope this helps.

I forgot to ask, What OS are you using?
  • dileeprao
  • dileeprao

Post 3+ Months Ago

Unflux:

Good Idea, thanks. I guess I will try that next. Hoping I could do a soft fix before swapping cables and finding my boot disk, etc.

Jim:

I tried your stuff, but still am unable to delete the system volume information folder. I am guessing this is the problem, but I can not think of why else I would be unable to format a drive. There is literally nothing else on the drive, and I keep getting an error message at the end of the (half hour) format.

I am running XP professional.
  • BloodyKisses78
  • Born
  • Born
  • BloodyKisses78

Post 3+ Months Ago

This has been inactive, but it applies exactly to the problem I'm having and there doesn't seem to be any resolution here, so I was wondering if there was a remedy other than switching out the HD's to format. My main goal is avoiding the hassle...call me lazy :oops:
  • lashepherd
  • Born
  • Born

Post 3+ Months Ago

Has anyone figured out a solution for this? I am having the same problem.

I've never had a HD that won't take a format, Killdisk, Wipedrv, or anything else. Partition Magic gives error codes the Symantec doesn't have listed on their website (big surprise :evil: ).

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated. I will promise you a happy thought if you can help.

V/R
Bozo
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

How about putting that one in as a primary and booting with a Windows 98 boot disk? Then you can go into FDISK, erase the entire partition, and start anew.
  • tapztirb19
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • tapztirb19

Post 3+ Months Ago

i like the idea of going with the win98 disk also maybe search for this little app called testdisk it can do neat stuff with partition tables.
  • hawaii
  • Born
  • Born
  • hawaii
  • Loc: Newcastle, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey yo,
I got the same problems like you guys before, but when I got the program PQ Magic 7.0(version 8.0 is available now), every thing is solved. You can format any hard drive.
To do it, you got to copy PQ Magic to a floopy disk,then start your computer in MS_DOs by the floopy disk, then run PQ Magic 7.0, it allows you to format hard drive even if the hard drive is NTFS.
Hope I can help you guys some how

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts