XP not recognizing old hard drive

• Iakona
  • Born
  • Born
  • Iakona

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi'ya everyone. I figure its better to give a little background on this in case the cause is something I have not thought of.

My pc was running with 2 hard drives. The C: was an old 15 gb and the D: a larger 120 gb. The c: only had XP and drivers and the D: had all my files, apps, and extras.

One day, the pc locked. I could get no response from anything. I hardbooted and it came through the bios, then stopped when it tried to access the hard drive to load the OS. I tried to repair from the XP disk, but could not even "dir" from the c prompt. I figured the C: drive was dead.

Bought a new one. Went from 15 gb to 160 gb. My old motherboard (3 years) could not handle that much, so it wanted to be partitioned in two. I loaded XP and found my old drive was not recognized. The bios does see it, just not XP.

I have checked the jumpers, unplugged and replugged the IDE cables, and wiped the second new partition (so the old drive would definately be the D: drive).

I then went start - control panel - administrative tools - computer management. Then I clicked on disk management and looked in the right hand pane. Its not there. I only see the c: drive and the unpartitian space. No D: drive.

The two physical hard drives are made by different companies, so they are easy to spot in lists. I am just not finding my slave hard drive in XP at all.

Could someone please recomend something? I'm at my wit's end.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

In disk management down at the bottom where it gives you a graphical representation of your drives, is there a drive listed without a drive letter?
  • Iakona
  • Born
  • Born
  • Iakona

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am at work right now, but I will check when I get home. Thank you.
  • Iakona
  • Born
  • Born
  • Iakona

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh, wait. I just re-read that. The only things I see there are the c: drive, the half of the c: drive I did not partition, and the dvd (e:) drive.

The old d: drive (the maxtor drive) is not appearing there. It continues to appear in the bios, however.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts