Not sure if this has exactly been asked before...

• hyawatha15
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • hyawatha15
  • Loc: Antioch, IL

Post 3+ Months Ago

but, is there a way to use a graphics card for a PC on a laptop??? Is THere any cord or adapter or anything that will get it to work, my laptop kicks ass except for the graphics card,
1Gig of RAM
2.4 Ghz Pentium 4
and all that good stuff, just need a faster graphics card (Mobility Radeon 9000 64MB.)
  • Wild Child
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Wild Child

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nope no way, thats the downfall of a labtop computer ...upgradability.

WC
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Apart from the fact desktop graphics cards are too big to fit into a laptops deminished space, the amount of energy required to power a desktop graphics card would quickly drain your Lithium Polymer battery.

As WC has already said, upgrading laptops is a bit of a sore point. Depending on the manufacturer and model your laptop may or may not have possible upgrade options.

Some manufacutrers "weld" their components to the mobo so that you have to buy a whole new laptop if you want to upgrade, bit mean, but it happens.

Let us know what your laptop model and manufacturer is and we can check out your options. Alternativly, you could do this yourself. :D
  • hyawatha15
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • hyawatha15

Post 3+ Months Ago

It is sodderd in, but if i were to keep the laptop running on the AC power, then there would be enough power, rite?
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

A laptop is like a nuclear bomb. You don't want to touch it. You will void your warranty and you would probably not be able to find another card that would fit. You can send the laptop to it's manufacturer and ask if they can upgrade the video card, but your still not going ot get one thats gonna do well on games.
  • hyawatha15
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • hyawatha15

Post 3+ Months Ago

dont really care if i void my warrenty, I just want to know if it can be done, in any way POSSIBLE. Thanks
  • Wild Child
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Wild Child

Post 3+ Months Ago

No there really isnt anyway to do this as the computer you have is all integrated and there is no where to install a new video card (no agp/pci slot), as suggested above you may be able to send it back to the manufacturer or contact them to see if it is possible for them to upgrade it.

WC
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Without being a trained dell laptop technician, you would risk a failure rate of 99%. Therefore rendering the laptop completely useless.

Integrated Technologies are either hard-wired onto the mainboard or soldered on. Most likely the card will be using a proprietary connection and pin-sequence for which you won't be able to find cards that fit.

Some new laptops allow upgradability and the card is fit into a proprietary connector. You would then have to order upgrade parts from the manufacturer and put hem in yourself or have the manufacturer do it.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts