NOT your typical hard drive problem. Help!

• heyimjason
  • Born
  • Born
  • heyimjason
  • Loc: omaha, ne

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok. The basic and arguably quick rundown:

I had an old pc with WinXP on it. I got another computer, and decided to use that 80 gig as the slave. Tried. Nothing worked. Upgraded my computer (WinXP, 256MB, 120 GB, 1.8 Ghz), mostly because I needed an upgrade. Nothing.

BIOS detects the hard drive, and the hard drive does show in the system. No drive letter. I'm sure the data on the drive is corrupted, but there are quite a few files I really, truly, need to rescue before formatting the hard drive.

I've tried everything possible in disk management, which doesn't matter anyways, since the hard drive isn't showing in there.

I'm thinking I'll need some really hardcore software to try and "weasel" a few more hours of life into the hard drive. Unless someone knows an easier way. Oh, I've also tried running the XP repair, fdisk, chkdsk, and a few other similar things on the 2nd hard drive.

The ribbons and jumpers are all A-OK. If anyone has any other ideas or similar situations, by all means, help me out!
  • Nicole
  • Nicole

Post 3+ Months Ago

if you want to save your data try using the HD as external or put it on a different OS ( linux) most of the times linux help to recover your files because is not sensitive to many win problems ....
Then scandisk your hardrive or run chkdsk /f on it ..... if there is no option format it ..
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

install windows on you first hard drive, and then load windows from that hard drive. once windows is loaded, double click the my computer icon, and access the second hard drive, the one with all of your files on it, and take of the files you need, and put them onto the first hard drive. if you need more help pm or im me, id be glad to help... if i can

poly
  • MOC
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Ocean City , Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would also goto your MOBO manf. and reinstall the newest INF. chipset, just to try that .

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts