Notebook Battery won't charge

  • RoadRash333
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • RoadRash333
  • Posts: 8

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi. I have a Dell Inspiron 8600 notebook that I am working on for a friend. Initially this computer had coffee spilled on the back of the machine. After that, the owner stated that they couldn't get the battery to charge. The machine was plugged in at the time of the incident. The computer would still run from the A/C plug, but couldn't get the battery to recharge. The owner had thought that battery may have been damaged when the coffee was spilled on it and purchased a 2nd battery. The computer worked under the power of the 2nd battery, but wouldn't recharge. Upon taking the computer apart, the area around the A/C plug-in was corroded and charred causing a short. I have replaced the mainboard on the system. Now when I turn the computer on under A/C power, the battery recharge light flashes orange 4 times, then green once, then repeats this cycle. The battery still won't charge, but operates under A/C power. I would suspect that the system would operate under battery power if there was a charged battery. Any ideas what the problem could be? I suspect that the systematic flashing is a code of some sort, but not sure. According to Dell, the battery is no good, however the 2nd battery was purchased after the initial spill and isn't more than a couple weeks old and did work at the time of purchase. Could it be possible that the short fried the 2nd battery?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Posts: ?
  • Loc: Ozzuland
  • Status: Online

Post 3+ Months Ago

  • jfvb1225
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 215
  • Loc: Ohio

Post 3+ Months Ago

The flashing sequence is binary which is telling you a fault code. The problem is having the info to decipher it. You'll need a repair manual which the warranty service people have access to.
  • RoadRash333
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • RoadRash333
  • Posts: 8

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah, I assumed it was more than coincidence that it was the same flash pattern. According to Dell "technical" support, this indicates a bad battery, but I just can't see how that could be, it is basically brand new.....
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 1205
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

RoadRash333 wrote:
According to Dell "technical" support


Dell "technical" support is right. People who have ZERO technical background or training and have no college degree.

If the computer will operate off of a charged battery, but just will not "charge" the battery thats not a bad battery. The recharging circuitry is damaged and it may be damaging other batteries. I think that changing the battery again will just result in the same thing and maybe a 3rd "bad Battery."
  • RoadRash333
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • RoadRash333
  • Posts: 8

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is what I was thinking as well. I am making the following assumptions...the 2nd battery was purchased prior to the mainboard being replaced. This being said, the replacement of the mainboard should have taken care of any damaged recharging circuitry. So, my thinking is this. The charging system is now working properly, but both batteries were damaged by the old "bad" mainboard with the bad recharging circuitry. Unfortunately the only way to test this is to get a new known "good" battery, which is additional cost, but I don't see any other way to get around it.
  • Wild Child
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Wild Child
  • Posts: 199

Post 3+ Months Ago

This would probably be the best assumption.

WC

RoadRash333 wrote:
That is what I was thinking as well. I am making the following assumptions...the 2nd battery was purchased prior to the mainboard being replaced. This being said, the replacement of the mainboard should have taken care of any damaged recharging circuitry. So, my thinking is this. The charging system is now working properly, but both batteries were damaged by the old "bad" mainboard with the bad recharging circuitry. Unfortunately the only way to test this is to get a new known "good" battery, which is additional cost, but I don't see any other way to get around it.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 1205
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thats a reasonable assumption IFF (that's not misspelled) the recharging circuitry is located on the motherboard and not anywhere else, or its another problem not motherboard specific that is damaging the batteries. If you had another notebook to test the batteries on that would be great.
  • RoadRash333
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • RoadRash333
  • Posts: 8

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, I agree. It would be great to try the current batteries in another system, or another battery in the "new" system, but the chances of coming across either of these options is fairly slim...hehe

Anyway. Thanks for the additional insight gang. I just wanted to run this past somebody else for a "fresh set of eyes" looking at the situation. I was hoping to find out out what the diagnostic flashing was for certain, or a place to find out....without getting transferred to India and being put on hold for an hour.......
  • jfvb1225
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 215
  • Loc: Ohio

Post 3+ Months Ago

Look up their warranty service centers and call one of them. Explain the problem and maybe you'll get someone helpful who will look up the code for you. (Maybe).
  • Bgnn32
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Bgnn32
  • Posts: 435
  • Loc: Western Mass

Post 3+ Months Ago

The only thing worse than Gateway Tech Support is Dell. I remember argueing over gateway over a burnt out powersupply I had, the so called tech kept insisting I had bad RAM and that needed to be replaced. I told him no less than 10 times it was the powersupply, he finially listened to me (or so I thought) and said they would send me a new one, I get the box and it was new RAM, which did not fix the problem at all I went around in circles with them for about a month, finially went out and bought my own power supply and low and behold the thing worked. I sent gateway the old one along with a bill for the replacement part and demanded a letter of apology. Got absolutely nothing.
  • Dillon8600
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • Dillon8600
  • Posts: 5

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,
It might be to late for this guy but i hope this helps someone....
I have an Inspiron 8600 and my battery wouldn't charge but the notebook would power up and be usable
on the AC adapter. The battery light would flash 4 orange and one green. I talked to Dell and they said my battery was dead. I thought i would try one last thing before spent the $60.00-100.00 on a new battery. I borrowed an AC adapter form a friend with a Dell laptop. I plugged it in and one 1 1/2 hours later i had a charged battery That lasts about 5 1/2 hours. : ) I hope this helps...
-Dillon :P

RoadRash333 wrote:
Hi. I have a Dell Inspiron 8600 notebook that I am working on for a friend. Initially this computer had coffee spilled on the back of the machine. After that, the owner stated that they couldn't get the battery to charge. The machine was plugged in at the time of the incident. The computer would still run from the A/C plug, but couldn't get the battery to recharge. The owner had thought that battery may have been damaged when the coffee was spilled on it and purchased a 2nd battery. The computer worked under the power of the 2nd battery, but wouldn't recharge. Upon taking the computer apart, the area around the A/C plug-in was corroded and charred causing a short. I have replaced the mainboard on the system. Now when I turn the computer on under A/C power, the battery recharge light flashes orange 4 times, then green once, then repeats this cycle. The battery still won't charge, but operates under A/C power. I would suspect that the system would operate under battery power if there was a charged battery. Any ideas what the problem could be? I suspect that the systematic flashing is a code of some sort, but not sure. According to Dell, the battery is no good, however the 2nd battery was purchased after the initial spill and isn't more than a couple weeks old and did work at the time of purchase. Could it be possible that the short fried the 2nd battery?
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :P
  • isip
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • isip
  • Posts: 8

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had the same problem. The computer was working on battery for less than 6 month then it went dead.

I called tech support and they shipped me a new battery. The battery went dead again after few days and I had to run always on the power adaptor.
It's very frustrating not to be able to rely on their customer service.

Now my Dell Inspiron 8600 won't boot up at all and I'm out of the warranty.

I already tried to plug it to an other outlet. the power adaptor get the green LED anyway. When I start it up, I would get a blank screen or a blinking cursor.

does anyone has an idea to fix it, if it is possible without paying too much ? Or how much would a repair cost me ?
  • Dillon8600
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • Dillon8600
  • Posts: 5

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey,
If you live close i would be more than happy to look at it for ya.. Just let me know.


isip wrote:
I had the same problem. The computer was working on battery for less than 6 month then it went dead.

I called tech support and they shipped me a new battery. The battery went dead again after few days and I had to run always on the power adaptor.
It's very frustrating not to be able to rely on their customer service.

Now my Dell Inspiron 8600 won't boot up at all and I'm out of the warranty.

I already tried to plug it to an other outlet. the power adaptor get the green LED anyway. When I start it up, I would get a blank screen or a blinking cursor.

does anyone has an idea to fix it, if it is possible without paying too much ? Or how much would a repair cost me ?
  • isip
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • isip
  • Posts: 8

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes dillon.

I live in Ireland (Cork). :D
  • Dillon8600
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • Dillon8600
  • Posts: 5

Post 3+ Months Ago

isip wrote:
yes dillon.

I live in Ireland (Cork). :D


might be kinda hard for me to look at it then lhahaha sorry
  • Dillon8600
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • Dillon8600
  • Posts: 5

Post 3+ Months Ago

if you have the Windows XP cd that came with it you could just try reloading the OS
  • isip
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • isip
  • Posts: 8

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have tried with a Win XP pro cd which did already worked before : the installation process won't finish.

I can't find a win xp cd that came with the machine. what color is it ?
(all I have is a diagnostic tool, isp cd and a dell eurotools cd )

help please
  • Dillon8600
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • Dillon8600
  • Posts: 5

Post 3+ Months Ago

isip wrote:
I have tried with a Win XP pro cd which did already worked before : the installation process won't finish.

I can't find a win xp cd that came with the machine. what color is it ?
(all I have is a diagnostic tool, isp cd and a dell eurotools cd )

help please


Mine is like a redish purple color... You laptop might not have come with one... I think it was like an extra $50 to get it... How far does it get?
  • JR1
  • Born
  • Born
  • JR1
  • Posts: 3
  • Loc: Chicago area, west 'burbs

Post 3+ Months Ago

Newbie here. Looking for some non-Dell help, nearly anything will do! Have an Inspiron 2100 I believe for my college daughter...spilled coffee on it a year or so ago, but all was ok after all. Now, it won't accept a charge, or run on AC. Changing the battery of a friend, it will run on that battery, still won't charge. And neither AC cord will run it or charge it. Dell says it's the motherboard...

Is it the motherboard, i.e. scrap?

Thanks in advance.
  • Thayk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 480
  • Loc: Durianburg, Philippines. Spent time in South Pole

Post 3+ Months Ago

too preposterous to say its the motherboard, JR1. maybe just the power assembly inside the laptop. or maybe just the AC itself.why not try a shop that specializes on laptop repairs. its better than approaching dell people. in my place, they get notoriety of concluding "ITS THE MOTHERBOARD" even if it is just a simple power problem.
  • JR1
  • Born
  • Born
  • JR1
  • Posts: 3
  • Loc: Chicago area, west 'burbs

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks, Thayk, good advice...even in her small town, surely someone will be willing. Time to Google up some shops there.
  • JR1
  • Born
  • Born
  • JR1
  • Posts: 3
  • Loc: Chicago area, west 'burbs

Post 3+ Months Ago

Confirming that, according to my local, trusted outfit...it's probably the power connector on the board which can often be fixed. Will update after he sees it in case others experience similar problem. Apparently a common problem, and to the manufacturer, who knows nothing about repairing stuff, it calls out for a funeral and replacement. For the rest of us, we repair, esp. on a machine only 1 1/2 years old.
  • sirryche
  • Born
  • Born
  • sirryche
  • Posts: 1

Post 3+ Months Ago

let me say this. i have a dell latitude that wont charge battery. battery is very very low. take battery out and system shuts down. wont run on ac power. now heres the kicker. i have a inspirion 8600 which has the same powerpacks. all same configure. haven't used it in months so batteries are also very low but it charges no problem. took the power supply from inspirion and hooked it up to latitude. works it charges battery and the laptop works on ac power alone. cool so power pack for old latitude is dead even when it still lights up...ok... put inspirions power supply back from the latitude to the inspirion and now my inspirion will not charge or even run on ac power. but will run on battery but when you take a battery out it shuts off right then and there. dead. but the latitude works fine.. anybody have any ideas? i am thinking on some kind of switch that the laptops have to tell if its from ac or battery. where would that be if any. help!
  • khimaira
  • Born
  • Born
  • khimaira
  • Posts: 1

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just as confirmation:
My company laptop is a Dell Latitude D820. My battery went dead 3 months ago and had it replaced. The new one went bad 2 weeks ago. I also get the 4 orange 1 green flashes.

IT wants to replace the mobo and battery. I'm planning on trying different battery and power adapter... if one of my coworkers is willing to possibly mess up their own work laptop.
  • toshiba
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • toshiba
  • Posts: 23

Post 3+ Months Ago

well sirryche, i suggest that you should check the specification of the AC adapter, specilly the output voltage and the output electric current, make sure that the replacement adapter is fit for the original AC adapter, and the 5% disparity of the voltage and electric current is acceptable, but not more than 5%. if the voltage and electric current is not matching,the laptop won't work.
  • toshiba
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • toshiba
  • Posts: 23

Post 3+ Months Ago

ooh, RoadRash3, i think that may due to the sheet metal connecting between the battery and the laptop, it may be short-circuit, so no matter what battery is put in the laptop, the battery will be damage and the motherboard will not run with the battery power.check that metal , if true change them at once.

good luck
  • SamN
  • Born
  • Born
  • SamN
  • Posts: 1

Post 3+ Months Ago

My kids have identical Dell Inspiron E1705. One will not charge its battery at all. But we can charge that battery in the other one.

From what I'm reading I guess it could be the mobo or the power assembly unit?

Any suggestions on how to nail down the problem?
  • batteryfast
  • Born
  • Born
  • batteryfast
  • Posts: 1

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have this type of battery for 1 years. The price of laptop is very low this period for the org battery is expensive. So I got one from dell d820 battery. Maybe It can help you. :)

Post Information

  • Total Posts in this topic: 28 posts
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 52 guests
  • You cannot post new topics in this forum
  • You cannot reply to topics in this forum
  • You cannot edit your posts in this forum
  • You cannot delete your posts in this forum
  • You cannot post attachments in this forum
 
 

© 1998-2014. Ozzu® is a registered trademark of Unmelted, LLC.