nVidia GeForce 6800GT

• noddynoodle
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Haxxorland, Norway

Post 3+ Months Ago

What do you guys/gals think of this videocard? I'm thinking of buying it soon, and then overcloak it to work as good as the 6800 Ultra...

Thanks for you opinions :)

-Noddy
  • Redigieren
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Redigieren

Post 3+ Months Ago

wait longer for a good pci express video card.

edit

also if you need something to make way get a cheep 5700 until they make good pci express. Expect a good 3-6 month wait.

6800 (no offence) is a penis enlarger.
  • MOC
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Ocean City , Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

First off it's going to be a long time before PCI-E distances AGP ,2008
is when you will see final demise of AGP,Second a GT is a great card , so go for it ,and third why would anyone recommend a 5700 (you got to be kidding)when the most basic card that you could get away with right now,and be able to play it with any FPS is the 5900XT. In the Nvidia family.
Just some food for thought .

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=775634

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=785299

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=818296

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=818405
  • Redigieren
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Redigieren

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a 5700

It runs Doom3 and Source Counter Strike just fine.

Just trying to save someone $100+

Its never a good idea to buy the top of the line video card.
Its always way to expensive.

There is already pci express graphics cards.

Theres just no need for them at this time since games don't run both ways at the moment.

(agp only goes one way at a time "send receive")

I say you don't put all your cookies in the same basket.
But heh its your money.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Remember to put things into perspective. A relatively cheap Radeon 9800pro with a 2.8 Pentium or AMD 2800 will run Half Life 2 at 60 fps as Valve demonstrated to the public on it.

If you go down the PCI Express you will need 2 slots on your new motherboard and buy a special SLI video card so you can add a total of 2 cards if needed (expensive!). But You have a long wait and to be honest AGP bus still not close to bottled out yet and I highly recommend a 6800 or 6800GT.

I have a XFX 6800 with a Silencer fan and am well happy it and think its the best valur for money. You can get a 2%-10% boost if the Softmod works to enable 16 pipes from 12. The 6800 only has 128MB that is a bottleneck but you save $100.
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

^^

agree

pci-E wont be out for a long time...

you will never be able to buy the 'top' stuff because there are always plans for something better. so waiting for PCI-E will be pointless because then there will be a better card running on it every 6 month (around that)

i say get the 6800GT
90% clock to ultra speeds. and heck... they will run anything with full detail at the moment.
  • Moses08
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Moses08

Post 3+ Months Ago

Personally I would wait a couple weeks for the GeForce 6600 GT. It is available in PCI-E if you want (no reason not to future-proof yourself if you have the chance) and it is the first value card that performs with the big dogs. It will run ANYTHING you can throw at it that is currently out and should last you up to 2 years of quality gaming. Good luck.
  • noddynoodle
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Haxxorland, Norway

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for your replies guys :D

And since we're on it, 64 or 32 bit CPU?(I know most programs don't support full 64 bit power) :P
  • Moses08
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Moses08

Post 3+ Months Ago

Depends on what you are using your computer for. For gaming, I would go with an AMD-64. For other applications, Pentium 4s are probaly better.
  • Redigieren
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Redigieren

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don't get a socket 754 they are a waist of your money.
And i wouldn't recommend getting any 64 bit processor until pci e comes out on them. Long horn isn't even out yet. And 64 does worse on 3d mark than most processors do.

BTW asus x800 ati pci e video card looks like a hot deal. And you don't need 2 cards. $639 (thats the big "=====D" )

And top of the line video card is pci e now. heh.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

benchmarks still show 64 bit processor are over 15% faster in frame rates (Doom3) however I dont know if this down number of bits but I do know it has larger Cache and much better on chip memory controller for games! - so when the 64bit OS come out it may have an even greater boost if the game engine is designed for it...There is talks HL2 is to design a 64bit version but its sketchy.

A 32bit Barton is a good compromise with its large cache (but same old mem' controller).
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Redigieren wrote:
And i wouldn't recommend getting any 64 bit processor until pci e comes out on them. Long horn isn't even out yet. And 64 does worse on 3d mark than most processors do.

BTW asus x800 ati pci e video card looks like a hot deal. And you don't need 2 cards. $639 (thats the big "=====D" )

the x800 has the performance of the 6800/gt/u
when using PCI-E you will only need one card with whatever manufacturer. but for the SLI folks then they will buy a mobo with 2x PCI slots.
the A64 processors do beat the pentiums in most game tests. but the pentiums beat the A64's in multimedia.
  • Moses08
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Moses08

Post 3+ Months Ago

Redigieren wrote:

What does PCI-E have to do with anything? It isn't even necessary yet, since video cards don't transfer enough bandwidth to make it any better. AGP will be fine for years to come. AMD-64s do fine in a 32-bit environment and even better in 64-bit optimized applications. For the price, AMD gives better value at this particular point in time.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Moses08 wrote:
What does PCI-E have to do with anything? It isn't even necessary yet, since video cards don't transfer enough bandwidth to make it any better.

...very true, but like we said you cant have 2 AGP slots for 2 cards in SLI. In theory you will incredible performance running SLI including the minimum frame rate get a boost.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts