Odd reboot

• demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member
  • Loc: Conroe, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here is something that i have never seen.

I have a clients computer and its a old compaq vista machine. Its fully updated and virus free. but once you shut it down and hit the power button to start it back up the power light wont come on or the video but the fans and everything else starts up. In order to get it to fully boot up i have to either pull the power plug and then plug it back in or hit the switch on the powersupply and turn it back on again befor it works.

I thought it was the power supply and i tried it on a different power supply amd that wasn't it.

any ideas?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wonder if the CMOS battery is dead, but that's a long shot.
  • demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

that would cause a odd start up like that?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's a possibility and cheap to check. I had some machines a while back that had dead CMOS batteries. I don't remember their symptoms but I do remember them behaving oddly. Switched out the battery and they were fine.
  • demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

well the CMOS battery did not fix it... I am starting to run out of ideas. Im down to 2 things and thats the hard drive and the motherboard...

update. (************************)
I tested with a different Hard drive and it wasn't it either. So i am guessing its the motherboard. Is there anyway to so called test a motherboard?
  • demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

anybody?
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does the motherboard have any sort of markings on it to indicate what exact motherboard it is? If not what Compaq model was it? Maybe you can see if anybody else has experience a similar problem with the same motherboard and/or same Compaq computer model.
  • Liamw411
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Liamw411
  • Loc: United Kingdom

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had this same issue a while back, in the end I found the buttons on the front of the case were incorrectly connected to the motherboard. It would be a good idea to check the internet for a manual for the motherboard and check that all connectors are connected correctly. The symptoms you are explaining sound very similar to what I was experiencing myself. I hope this helps you in resolving this problems that you are having.
Liamw411.
  • demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

that wasn't it either. for one theres only one way for the piticular connecter to go on and i tested it with another switch. Thanks for the idea.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think the key words here are "old compaq vista machine."

I've had this exact thing happen twice before (both with Compaqs). In one case, it was a bad power cord to the PC, and in the other it was a bad power cord to the monitor. Try switching out your power cords with known good ones.
  • demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had tried with a different moniter and cord all together and I had tested it with a different power supply and cord also. still no luck. I am just saying that the MoBo was shot..

Damn the cheap hardware.

The thing that gets me is it wasnt even heating up. it was at about 90F for an old amd athlon processer. I know they usually run warm already.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts