Old Dell Dimension 8250

• limbo
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • limbo
  • Loc: Pitcairn Island

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well I got this Dell Dimension made all the way back in 2003. Its a Dimension 8250. I wanted to add a 512mb generic stick of ram to replace the Dell 256mb as I knew not to mix the two.

So I opened up the case and found that just for 256mb, all 4 slots was filled with the 2 slots on the left hand side filled with normal looking ram except for a metal plate mounted on to it, and the 2 right hand side slots filled with dwarf like memory chips. I didnt dare to take them out to replace.

Can some one please tell me why Dell has done this and what I should do to make the switch.

One last thing, in the manual it said that "minimum memory 64mb" and maximum memory 512". Under the ram type section of the manual. Does this mean the computer can only support 512mb memory with all 4 slots?! (If the two slots for the dwarf like memory (are they?) are counted. The manual also says that it supports pc133 ram, my generic ram is a pc3200....will it work?

Thanks guys...
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.ascendtech.us/itemdesc.asp?i ... 78&eq=&Tp=

C800 or PC1066 RDRAM (non-ECC), 64-, 128-, 256-, and 512-MB non-ECC, Maximum support 2 GB for PC800, 1.5 GB for PC1066 PC 1066 (non-ECC) only on computers with a 533-MHz system clock speed

Those are the specs for that mother board.
  • limbo
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • limbo
  • Loc: Pitcairn Island

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for that!
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

If I am not mistaken RDRAM required dummy sticks to be placed in unused RAM slots in order for it to work. That is probably what the "dwarf like memory chips" are.

I was right they are called CRIMMS.

Another thing to keep in mind is that RDRAM has to be installed in pairs. You can't just put one stick in and have it work.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts