Old Laptop Hardrive in a new external case question.

• hyawatha15
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • hyawatha15
  • Loc: Antioch, IL

Post 3+ Months Ago

To get the old laptop harddrive working on my desktop, what should the drive be set at and where can I get/buy new jumper selectors for laptop harddrives? 3.5 inch harddrive jumper selectors dont work on 2.5 inch laptop harddrives, do they? I installed everything correcty and the drive isnt showing up on my computer.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

No, the standard 3.5" pin bridges dont work on the 2.5" drives.

As for where to get one, most "decent" computer stores stock them, I`m not from the US though so I may be wrong, but that is the case for the UK.

As for what should the drive be set at, depends if you want it for storage, or as your main boot drive. That will determin your cable select more than anything.
  • hyawatha15
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • hyawatha15

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the reply, I'll look around for them. For the drive, I want to first get data off the harddrive and then reformat it to use as storage. What is the first thing I need to do to get the drive to show up in windows to take the files off?
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

What you will want to do is connect the drive as a slave drive and boot your computer off your current HDD.

Once you have the cable selection sorted, and the pin bridge on, Windows will recognise the drive and allow you to browse the drive and / or format it.
  • Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge
  • Loc: nashua nh

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm Not completely sure but You could look for a portable case for the hard drive.
And in that case you would set the jumpers on the hard drive to Master.

Thats the way I've done it but, I have a Normal 3.5 inch hard drive.

You could check on Newegg Or whatever store you can and see if they have one for a laptop hard drive.
  • hyawatha15
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • hyawatha15

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am thinking that the harddrive is dead :( The reasone I think this is because I bought an external harddrive case and I hooked it all up, but I cant get the drive to do anything. I put the drive right next to my ear and cant hear it moving or anything. This means that its dead, right?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts