old laptop help ( gateway solo )

• HardDrive
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok i'm sorry if this should be in a different topic i looked around and i wasn't sure.

Ok i have a old gateway solo p3c 32mb 166 mega hertz 1.4 gb (sucks i know) and i was looking into larger HDDs and i found one but i looked at installation instructions and they said if you have a BIOS 1.1 or lower it wouldn't work so blah blah blah i looked into updating BIOS to 1.2 and they said it works but if you do something wrong then it would turn your laptop into a paper weight... so i'm wondering if it's worth the chance to update BIOS or if theres i different way to make the new HDD work or maybe i should scrap the idea and get an external HDD :?
I NEED HELP :(
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

If there is no network card, wired or wireless, then I wouldn't bother with it at all. I have an old Toshiba and it just wasn't worth the trouble. If there is a way to network it, then try the BIOS update. If you lose you lose. Don't worry about it.
  • HardDrive
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have a 56 modem and 100mb network card how would that help?
( i'm new to editing BIOS )
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://support.gateway.com/support/driv ... d=45521265

That's the site for the BIOS upgrade. I would try it since you have a NIC and will be able to connect to the net. If the upgrade works, which some people say it does, you'll be able to install a bigger HD and possibly more memory.
  • HardDrive
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok i've got that but it says in how to install "only install on "solo" P5-75, P5-90, P5-100, P5-120, OR P5-133" ar those parts, models, or something else?

thnx
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Some of the posts I read on other forums said they used that on the same machine that you have. I would take a shot because there isn't much you can do with that machine otherwise.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts