Old processor coolers still any good?

• Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have just ordered a AMD 2800 with the supplied fan but I already have a MASSIVE copper heat pipe from cool master (Coolmaster Silent Heatpipe) from my AMD1.4. Is this still better?
  • Freakyp
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: M'boro. TN, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, I would try to find a heatsink and fan ment for your processor, because the processor is going to be doing a lot more work, thus generating much more heat than the 1400-heatsink was made for... although it just might work, I would just hate see ya' fry your processor..... hope it helps :wink:
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

WOW! you know they still sell it - hmm it looks like it but mine may have a slower fan?

http://www.neogames.co.uk/product.php?x ... 5&xSec=104

Anyone got one?
  • TheEyeOfIceMan
  • Loc: Fowler, IN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Im sure it will work just fine, It may be older but I bet its a goody, If you want though I guess you can replace the fan to make sure it stays running for along time. :D
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I got the XP2800 chip this morning and it comes with a surprising copper base :) ! (only £70) with a larger surface area steel/aluminium heat sink. From what I have read it does a really good job so I am going to be safe and stick to that for now.

Replacing the fan in the old one (3000rpm) to 4000 maybe a good idea so I might keep it for a slower second PC I want to build out of second hand parts.

Does anyone know what temperature all processors run at?
  • TheEyeOfIceMan
  • Loc: Fowler, IN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Johan007 wrote:
I got the XP2800 chip this morning and it comes with a surprising copper base :) ! (only £70) with a larger surface area steel/aluminium heat sink. From what I have read it does a really good job so I am going to be safe and stick to that for now.

Replacing the fan in the old one (3000rpm) to 4000 maybe a good idea so I might keep it for a slower second PC I want to build out of second hand parts.

Does anyone know what temperature all processors run at?

If you can keep it in the mid to high 40's that would be perfect, but for AMD chips you can run them up into the 60's until you start running into problems. =)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts