Oldish Compaq Areo PDA Dead?

• ynyfrik
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • ynyfrik
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi
a few years a go i got Compaq Areo 2130 as a gift.i used it for about a year and a half then it fell under my bed. as lazy as i am i got it from under my bed in about half a year.i tried turining it on and i didn't work.i put it somewhere again and forgot about it and i found it in the basement i guess a year passed since the last time i found it and anyways now i am tring to fix it.
when i try to turn it on nothing happends i can only see that the screen backlight is on and a little light on the top blinks sometimes. i would like to maybe try to reinstall the operating system (Windows CE) but i dont have any cds just the cable to connect it to the computer. could i find the os somewhere for free? or something?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ScienceOfSpock
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Las Vegas

Post 3+ Months Ago

This may sound stupid, but after several years of non-use, the battery is probably dead dead. As in, can't be recharged at all, or only holds a very small charge. I would try replacing the battery before doing anything as drastic as trying to reinstall the os, which I'm not entirely sure you can do anyway.

I have a 2 year old HP Jornada which did something similar a few months back. Turned it on and only the backlight would come on. Replaced the battery and all was well.
  • ynyfrik
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • ynyfrik

Post 3+ Months Ago

ill try that but i have it pluged into the power supply so i dont think the battery matters. does it?
  • ScienceOfSpock
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

actually, it does with mine.
When mine is plugged in, it still draws power off the battery. The wall plug is just there to charge the battery (not provide power to the PDA)
Normally, the charge to the battery is greater than the draw from it, so the pda will turn on immediately, but if the battery is dead and isn't accepting juice, it does nothing.

Newer PDA's may be different, but when my battery died, even plugging it into the wall made no difference.
  • ynyfrik
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • ynyfrik

Post 3+ Months Ago

cool thanks
but one more question even though the battery was dead for a long time will the os still be there?
  • ScienceOfSpock
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah, the OS will be there.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts