Onboard Sound Card Issue

• Sakakii
  • Born
  • Born
  • Sakakii

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay, so I believe I'm being jerked around by my techy here at work. Anywho, about a week or so ago I had my computer taken from my cube and had updates done. One of them to include XP Professional from the Home Edition we were running on. Prior to these updates I had sound. Now I have my system back and I have no sound.
I know I've read in a couple of places that you have to uninstall the drivers and install them again. But, I can't do that and he keeps saying we (the company) have to go out and buy a card for 80.00 (I told him to take it back, because I sure as hell know Sound cards are cheaper than that) in order for me to get sound because this one won't work anymore.

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/compaq ... ml?tag=nav
These appear to be the specs for this computer system at work.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Most systems have onboard sound. You can tell by looking at the back of your PC and noting if it has sound outputs, they usually look like the following picture

Make sure your speakers are hooked up to the green one.

They may have disabled the sound for whatever reason and if they did you are out of luck.
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well I believe it's just a driver issue. Here is a link to HP's Driver Page (Which took over Compaq) for your Product EVO D310

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?prodNameId=97106&lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=96284&taskId=135
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Grinch2171 wrote:
They may have disabled the sound for whatever reason and if they did you are out of luck.

If that is the case that they disabled your onboard sound, then it would be a matter of going in to your system bios and re-enabling it. But seeing as how your tech support did it, they must have done it for some reason - if of course that was the intention.
  • Sakakii
  • Born
  • Born
  • Sakakii

Post 3+ Months Ago

Merlyn wrote:
Grinch2171 wrote:

If that is the case that they disabled your onboard sound, then it would be a matter of going in to your system bios and re-enabling it. But seeing as how your tech support did it, they must have done it for some reason - if of course that was the intention.

Okay, when we say Tech support.. I mean idiot.
Meaning they have someone in there working on our server which took three months to set up for some reason.

His reason for my sound card "I don't know what happened, it just stopped working XP Professional doesn't like it so it's not compatible."

That's what I mean by needing some other opinions.
I'm just going to force feed him to do the driver thing. I've been pushing it but he keeps treating me as if I have no idea what I'm talking about. :roll:

Grinch: Takes for the lesson in speaker connections, but that's also not my problem. I have no access to the sound options at all but it shows my codecs working properly in the device manager. I just think the drivers altogether need to be uninstalled and reinstalled.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts