Opteron

64 or Opteron

• Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looking into building a new PC, currently running an average setup that does me fine but I want something more recent and powerful.

Was thinking of either getting an AMD 64 system or an Opteron system (possibly Dual) as this option is slowly becoming more popular and I have been doing some reading and looks like the way to go in the future.

Don't want an Intel chip so no Xeon or P4 talk :P
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

You are foolish for not wanting the P4.....;)
  • TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Depends on what you want to do with your computer. Give me some informaton on what you're planning to use this computer for and I can give you advice.
  • SSH-Raj
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Down with the p4!
yeah like tomk says tell us what programs you are going to using etc.. as dual procs would be useless on a program that doesn't support it (I'm sure you already know that)

as far as bang for your buck (thats what i am always prioritizing) i have seen some great athlon 64 deals. like a complete athlon 64 system for $400
:)
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce

Post 3+ Months Ago

Athlon 64 systems for $400 = Avg. System. He said he is looking for something really nice. I agree on that if you don't have the money for the P4. If you are walking in bills right now, go for the Athlon FX-55.....it is wicked fast!
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its not I dont have the money for the P4, its I dont want a P4. I dont like Intel, nothing personal, I just prefer AMD.

I relised that not all programs support Dual CPU's I was just curious as to what people thoughts were regarding the whold Dual CPU issue.

Going to be running a few games (not a heavey gamer) and mainly compiling programs, testing programs and running Macromedia programs.
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I personally would suggest a 64bit 3400 or 3500 with 1gig of ram. Thats what im running and it works perfect, and the pricing is resonable. If you are rolling in the dough, go with the FX-55, and Nvidia SLI.(ASUS A8N-SLI delux motherboard is top of the line) My brother is going to be buying the SLI and the A8N some time soon, so ill have to let you all know how well that runs.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was personaly thinking of going the 64bit route anyway but was also curious as to what other peoples thoughts were.

I was looking into the 64 3000+ Winchester core as it is a great O/Cer and came out top in a test of 20 CPU's including the P4-E and FX-55 (only beat the FX-55 because of the price).

I`ll have a look into the FX-55 aswell though. As for Graphics, I prefer ATI but I will admit, SLI does look incredible.
  • Hellsbellboy
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Minnesota

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would like to see what the performance and what the performance benifits of the Dual Core CPUs that will be coming out around summer time.
If it's good I think that would be more perferable then doing dual Opteron. Unless your into heavy multitasking. If your not gaming I think a SLI system would be a bit overkill. I would go fast AMD Athlon 64 and some fast Western Digital Raptor drives in s RAID set. And a Dual Monitor set up..
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Wiltshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Raid arrays hardly make any differance to speed, http://www.custompc.co.uk ran a test on it some time ago. Anyway back to the processors, getting an Opteron means you will have to get registered memory (very expensive about £150-200 for 512mb) but once you have this they can do everything that the athlon 64 can do.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

I relise what is envloved in getting an Opteron, how much it will cost and how to go about setting up my PC for the best performance for what I want it to do.

The Question is ...

What are peoples personal opinions of each CPU ?
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

*plum* wrote:
Raid arrays hardly make any differance to speed, http://www.custompc.co.uk ran a test on it some time ago. Anyway back to the processors, getting an Opteron means you will have to get registered memory (very expensive about £150-200 for 512mb) but once you have this they can do everything that the athlon 64 can do.

this is pretty much the only difference, but frankly right now unless your seriously into multitasking there is no reason to get a multiprocessor comp. I would just stick with the Athlon 64 or the FX series. Up to you bro.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce

Post 3+ Months Ago

I multitask it up like no other! Only 7 windows open right now, but usually there are about 12-15!

NvIDIA SLI! Yum!
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Truce wrote:
I multitask it up like no other! Only 7 windows open right now, but usually there are about 12-15!

NvIDIA SLI! Yum!

I am usally the same as you and my Athlon 64 handles it just fine, and im runnign a CS server on my comp at the same time. That drains quite abit of system resources.
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Wiltshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

As long as you get a pretty bad ass CPU, a 3800+ or a Dual Opteron 246 they should handle anything you throw at them for quite some time, add a gig of ram to the either of the two and you have a KICK ASS pc. A 6800GT wouldnt go amiss either.... *must stop drooling*

*plum*

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts