Optical discs that hold 27GB to 54GB of data (Blu-ray)

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Blu-ray, also known as Blu-ray Disc (BD) is the name of a next-generation optical disc format jointly developed by thirteen leading consumer electronics and pc companies (Dell, Hitachi, HP, LG, Mitsubishi, Panasonic, Pioneer, Philips, Samsung, Sharp, Sony, TDK and Thomson). The format was developed to enable recording, rewriting and playback of high-definition television (HDTV). Blu-ray makes it possible to record over 2 hours of HDTV, or more than 13 hours of SDTV on a 27GB disc. There are also plans for higher capacity discs that are expected to hold up to 54GB of data.

While current optical disc technologies such as DVD, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW and DVD-RAM use a red laser to read and write data, the new format uses a blue laser instead, hence the name Blu-ray. The benefit of using a blue laser is that it has a shorter wavelength (405 nanometer) than a red laser (650 nanometer), which means that it's possible to focus the laser beam with even greater precision. This allows data to be packed more tightly on the disc and makes it possible to fit more data on the same size disc. Despite the different type of lasers used, Blu-ray Disc recorders can be made backwards compatible with current red-laser technologies and allow playback of CDs and DVDs.

As HDTV becomes more widespread, the consumer demand for recording HDTV programming will rise. Blu-ray was designed with this application in mind and enables direct recording of the MPEG-2 TS (Transport Stream) used by digital broadcasts, which makes it highly compatible with global standards for digital television. This means that HDTV broadcasts can be recorded directly to the disc without any extra processing or quality loss. To handle the increased amount of data required for HDTV, Blu-ray employs a 36Mbps data transfer rate, which is more than enough to record and playback HDTV while maintaining the original picture quality. In addition, by fully utilizing an optical disc's random accessing features, it's possible to playback video on a disc while simultaneously recording high-definition video.

Blu-ray is expected to replace VCRs and current DVD technology within a few years. The format is also likely to become a standard for PC data storage and high-definition movies in the future.

You can learn all about it here:

http://www.blu-ray.com/
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

/me stomps his feet and waves his fist in the air ;)

I've been waiting on this for a while. Once we get Blu-Ray-RW drives for our PCs, then I'll be happy. I just burned off 10 CDs full of photos a couple of days ago...

Yes, I know "get a dvd burner", well, it still works out cheaper to use CD-Rs :)
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

:imwithstupid:
  • SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I seen a segment on TV for these about 1 year ago they were still in development. It said that DVD’s are still going to stick around for 4 more years because the cost of the player.
  • blizzy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • blizzy

Post 3+ Months Ago

In my opinion, in 4-5 more years, DVD to Blu-ray (if it is successfully implemented) is exactly like CD to DVD today.
Just imagine having a stack of 40 DVDs, full of music and movies, only for 10 bucks? Man, that feels awesome.
  • SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

With this technology you will be able to image your whole computer on 4 disks, nice!
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, by the time these things are sittin' inside your PC, yoru average hard drive is gonna be about a terrabyte the way things are going. We're already up to 400Gig :)
  • SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

The drive might be a terabyte but in most cases excluding a video editor you will not have it filled up.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts