Optical Drives not recognized

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

My PC crashed pretty hard and I had to re-install windows. All went smooth but now my PC doesn't think I have any optical drives. I have a CD and a DVD burner and neither are showing up in the device manager. All my drivers are installed for my mobo and nothing was disconnected. Tried doing a add new hardware but that didn't work. Any ideas please?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Anchorage, AK

Post 3+ Months Ago

When you reinstalled did you do a full wipe/zap/format/Fdisk? To me, thats the only TRUE way to get a systme up and running "perfectly" again. If your not willing to do that, then i have no idea whats going on. It may be some corrupted clusters that are left over from the crash.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

No I didn't do a full format. I would have lost a lot of info if I did. I would have if I could have booted into windows to back the files up. I would like to avoid reformating because I still can't back my files up because my burners aren't recognized. The odd thing is, when I load my virtual drive it comes up as F:, if my drives weren't there it should be labeled D:. Does that info help with determining the problem?
  • bigcheeez
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bigcheeez

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try putting the hard drive in another pc and backup your stuff there. Then you can do your reformat, or play around with it with no chance of losing your data.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can't do that either because I am running RAID 0 in my PC and I do not have another PC that supports RAID.
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you only have a single hard drive? The way I have my computer set up, I have 2, so I just use the smaller one as a my "backup CD." Its a good idea in the future, just FYI> I dont really know anything else that you can do. I would try a drive defrag, but otherwise...........
  • Matthew Chase
  • Matthew Chase
  • Loc: Michigan, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

When I rebuilt my computer I had the same problem. It didn't recognize my CD ROM. Did you install a different version of windows?

A way to solve the problem might be to get a cheap hard drive, transfer the files over with the utility that comes with it (Maxtor and WD both come with something like that), clear the old drive completely, reinstall windows, then transfer the files from the new hard drive back over.

You will have to reinstall everything, but at least you will have all your saved files. That's what I had to do.

Also, did you make sure you updated your firmware for your optical drives?

Did you go to the windows update site and update everything there?

You should probably do that before you do something so drastic as wiping your hard drive.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

or if you have a web host somewhere, you may want to upload some of your more important files on it, then redownload it later. maybe email your self things. you know, if you have no other options
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay, I did a re-install without formatting and I got my optical drives back, so I am happy. But my happiness is coming with a price. My origional profile still exists but I cannot log into it. All of my programs and files are still there, is there a way to import the files or login to my old profile that is still there?
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

What do you mean original profile? For your computer or e-mail or what?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

The profile for the PC before I re-installed XP. If I go to Documents and Settings I see my old profile but I can't login into it. Does that make any sense?
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, but Im afraid that I dont run XP, Im still on 98SE, so I dont really know what the importance of the profile is. I dont know how much help I can be from here on out. But, Ill try. Tell me exactly why you need the profile. Does it allow you to access personal files on the computer that others cant? Just eplain to me why you want to be able to access it.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Grinch2171,

Here's Microsoft's instructions on how to copy the old profile to a new user. That should accomplish what you're after.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... -US;811151
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Woot! Atno saves the day! :)
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

You are the man ATNO, thanks a bunch.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

:thumbsup:

Glad you got it Grinch. Thought that was the solution and was keeping my fingers crossed.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts