Ordering new comp. Looking to get opinions on setup first.

• Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey there. It's been about 8 months since I did my last build and I really haven't kept up on the new tech. With the intro of Vista, along with Intel offering 64-bit computing, and new processors, my head is really spinning. I was hoping someone could have a look over this config and let me know if you see anything that won't work or is just plain stupid to do.

FYI, I plan on overclocking the CPU to around 3-3.2GHz. I've seen plenty of people who have stable systems with the 6400 at 3.5+ but I want to play it safe...I need the CPU to last me a couple years.

Core Components:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
Heatsink: Thermalright SI-128
CPU Fan: Zalman 120mm 2-ball
Mobo: EVGA nForce 680i SLI 775 A1
GPU: EVGA GeForce 8800GTX 768MB GDDR3
Mem: OCZ Platinum 2GB (2x1GB) 1066MHz (PC2 8500) SLI
PSU: Corsair 620HX (620W)

Misc. Components
Case: Lian-Li PC-V1000BPlus II
HDD: WD Raptor 150GB
CD/DVD+RW: LiteOn Burner w/LightScribe
CD/DVD-ROM: LG CD/DVD Reader

That pretty much does it. I'm not too familiar with OCing, so I wouldn't doubt getting something wrong with that. I don't really want to OC the GPU or Mem...I'm just trying to get more juice out of the CPU. Obviously I have to have the same base clock for all of them though...right?

Thanks for the help in advance.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why do you have two CPU heat sinks?

Other than that I would have to say its over kill but you wont need another system for who know how long. You wont find any problems over clocking. The 680i chipset allows the over clock of the FSB without changing the clock speed on the ram. So there is no tweaking of ram speeds. Or at least not alot.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks Spoof.

Actually there's only one heatsink. It doesn't come with the fan though...that's why there's a separate CPU fan.

Thanks for the info on the 680i. I was starting to wonder about that.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

First of all WAIT!

Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6800 2.93GHz x 2 4MB x 2 $1199
Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700 2.66GHz x 2 4MB x 2 $999
Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 2.93GHz 4MB $999
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40GHz x 2 4MB x 2 $530
Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 2.66GHz 4MB $316
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.40GHz 4MB $224
Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 2.13GHz 2MB $183
Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 1.86GHz 2MB $163
Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 1.80GHz 2MB $113

Intels dropping prices on the 22nd!

Okay, anyways.

Take a closer look at that "CPU fan. Its a heat sink too, not only a fan.

Take a look at the specs and the pic

Features

Does not generate noise or vibration in Silent Mode.
Pure Copper base material ensures excellent heat dissipation.
The large 120mm fan inside the FHS maximizes cooling performance by providing sufficient airflow even at slow rotation speeds.
The large 120mm fan provides air flow over a large area, cooling not only the CPU, but the VGA card, Northbridge, FET, and RAM.
The adjustable fan speed controller (FAN MATE 2) enables control of noise and fan performance.

Cooling Fan

Fan Speed Controller
Thermal Grease
Backplate
User Manual
Clips
Bolts

Why would a fan come with thermal grease?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Spoof is correct, if you look at the pictures you can clearly see it is also a heatsink.
  • Evenhost
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

You might want to wait a little while on vista, apparently they are having a lot of problems with serial numbers that are legit being used and causing legitimate copies to not activate properly because the SN is already in use. Also theres usually a lot of bugs in a new OS I would wait until at least the first major update. Also, consider buying a better CPU (even the next one up the line) and skimping on something else that you can upgrade later. Better to need to add ram later on than upgrade the CPU. Graphics card looks awesome by the way
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the info guys. I really don't believe it is a heatsink as well. There are customer reviews on it where they are using it with the exact same heatsink I bought. It's already ordered, but if worse comes to worse, I'll return it and get a different one.

Evenhost, I'm getting a better processor than most people get. I don't care to triple the cost for a 20% increase in performance (Core 2 Duo Extremes with quad-cores). The next one up the line is the 6700 and it's only 233MHz faster, and since I'll be overclocking far past that, it's a waste of an additional $200.

I can easily upgrade to the next series of Core 2 Duos later...it would be quite easy.

I'm not going to bother installing XP again. I absolutely hate it and I've already gotten used to Vista a bit from RC1 and RC2. I doubt I'll have any issues with a serial number, but even if I do, I bought a retail full-version so I won't have a problem getting it fixed.

Thanks again guys. I don't intend to sound like I don't appreciate the input, since I really do. That's just how I talk.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I was wrong, you were all right. The Zalman is a heatsink too. Whoops.

It didn't end up mattering anyways though since the Thermalright heatsink is massive and the way the case is separated doesn't leave it enough room above the mobo. The zalman didn't fit either. I guess I'm going to have to find an 80mm solution for it. For the moment I'm running the stock cooler and it's keeping the CPU at about 40-43 degrees celsius while gaming (according to SpeedFan).

This baby is blazing fast though! I installed Firefox in 4 seconds (from hitting the "Install" button). Photoshop opens in 4 seconds as well. And I haven't even OCed yet!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts