Overclocking Athlon XP 2800 Barton on Asus A7V-600X

• twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have been trying to acomplish this for a long time. I want to get my 2800 to a 3000 or above with out frying the thing. The Athlon is currently clocked at 2ghz. I have Kingwin AWC-1 water cooling with this setup: Core Unit-CPU-2nd Heat Exchanger-GPU-Core Unit. The system has been running for about 2 weeks now and the comp runs stable at the gpu running at 285 mhz from the stock 200. Could i overclock the cpu and gpu at the same time without destroying the water cooling? The system runs very stable. The only problem is that windows sometimes loads things into memory too many times and the system power restarts randomly. Then I boot up windows again and it tells me that it recovered from a serious error. I'm like uhhhh...no you didnt. Thats a windows problem though. Ever since I stopped modding my gui it runs a lot faster. I have the windows classic theme running. It runs a lot faster now. I'll get you guys my bios versions and such later.

Dont worry....I ramble off a lot. Sorry about that.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not much into overclocking twmspro, and I'm sure you'll get some good feedback here, but as a resource, if you don't already know about it, you can get a ton of good info here just by reading what's already there:
http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/
  • twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks ATNO. I read something here quite a while ago and saw someone with a a7v600x that had to use a certain bios revision to actually oc.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very possible. Like I said, I'm not into overclocking, but we have members that are.
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Wiltshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

What sort of graphics card have you got?
  • twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a Elements ATI Radeon 9200SE with a Kingwin AWC-1 water blocked hooked up. I over clock the card from 200 to 285 mhz and it runs smoothly. AA is what kills it though. I wish you could update pixel shader versions. And get some ram sinks on the thing so I can over clock the memory.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your barking up the wrong tree. Get yourself a better graphics card.

I have a 2800 Barton as well and I know that will not be the bottleneck (512k cache makes it better for games than the 3000 with less)... its your old outdated card thats not designed for AA or AF or games. Get a Radion 9800 pro or Geforce 6800 if you can afford it... even an old ti4200 may do the job better cos its designed for games :)
  • twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

i wish i could get a 9800 but i cannot afford one right now. I would like to get one for under 190 US. I love ati's and will never install a nvidia unless i have to or they get better performance.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 281&depa=1

Sapphire ATI 9800 Pro. Not quite $190 (US) but close. I`m sure your folks would be willing to lend you the extra $20 ?

If not, thought of looking on *GAG* eBay :P

Don't like that option myself, but sometimes the ends justify the means.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

THe "SE" type cards are NOT for games! Same goes for "LE" look at these charts:

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphi ... ts-03.html

The ATI Radeon 9600 XT will play games well at $159.27
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products ... uid=124788

Also a second hand Geforce ti4600 is a damn fine old card.
  • twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

What you think about this puppy?
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products ... _uid=47511

I've ran unreal tourney 2004 on that card with full graphics and 1280x1024 and it runs very smoothly. I have also ran need for speed underground with full graphics except for light trails at 640 and it ran smooth but not perfect. Even increasing it to 800x600 it ran jitery. You dont really need full res though. I just want low res but high qualith and smoothness.

I like the card and with water cooling i think it would rock!

Sorry the card i ran it on is the same card as above but not pro. I might be able to buy the card with the link supplied sometime over summer. My dad is gonna give me 1000 us dollars if I make the honor roll for this school semester. Hopefully I do and can buy this card and build my dream gigabit home network!
  • twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 281&depa=1

do you think i could over clock that clock speed 20mhz to reach 400mhz clock. That ram is super fast for what i have. Mines only 200. That card looks nice. Plus its from newegg. New egg rocks! Thanks everyone.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, O/Cing the 9800 Pro to 400Mhz wouldnt cause your system to become unsatable.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah a ATI R 9800 Pro is best last generation card can shift HL2 at 60 fps (1024 with AA and AF).

Overclocking is overrated IMO and I can prove it. When you overclock a card it increases the average FPS and maximum FPS greatly. However average and max FPS is not what you should be looking at. You should be looking at the minimum FPS and that is hardly effected becuase of other bottlneck thats nothing to do with clock speed.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

It may only just increase the minimum FPS but thats better than nothing.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

....you would risk damaging your card for that? I have damaged a Geforce 2 Pro to the extent it always shows artefacts as broken textures. A 10% overclock is fine but nothing more IMO.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

I respect your opinion and it does have a solid base, but for the price of the card I would be willing to overlook the risk of possible damage.

When done correctly O/Cing can produce some excellent results.
  • twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

the card I have now was 32 dollars and I dont mind over clocking it at all. If I wanted to I could pull the radeon 9000 out of the closet pop the water block on and oc it. No prob with that.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

An extra 20Mhz on top of the 9800 Pro isnt going to cause alot of extra damage.

Perhaps shorten its life span by a few months but nothing major.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

The cards I have never overclocked have never broken. The one card I did started to degrade after 10 months use! I suppose I was going to replace it anyway so I would only recommend an overclock a few months before you plan to buy a new card.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

We appear to have a difference of opinion here, which is fine, makes for a good debate, but in the end its down to the user what they decide to do.

All we can do is give our personal opinions.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah we can agree to disagreeā€¦ forums are there as a place of debate but so few people are prepared to change there view point.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can see your point and it is a reasonable argument.

Difference is that you don't want to destroy your components and feel there isn't a significant increase in performance to make it worth while.

On the other hand, I`m quite happy to melt my components even if it just produces a 5% increase. Its just the excitment of seeing how far you can push your system (I know I`m a little wierd, but meh, simple things please simple minds).
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sure I did use to be the same and can understand the obsession. I still have an obsession to make my PC silent.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good luck with that :lol:
  • twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I mainly overclocked in the first place to bring the core mhz up 50 mhz so it matched my 9000. But since then since I got water cooling I have tried slowly increasing the speed.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

With how fast computer components get old nowadays, and how cheap they are becoming, there is no reason why a little overclocking should make too big of a difference in life span. I mean, a 5 year old processor is as good as junk metal! If you don't plan on keeping your computer for the next decade then you can overclock within reason without too many problems.
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Im with Enigma with the melting bit, but sadly i cant on my current rig.... Damned voltage settings...

*plum*
  • twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh well *plum*. Dude your lucky enough to have a 64bit processor. Thats a nice processor grim. Congrats.
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

cheers, it overclocks really well as well. :twisted:
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information