overclocking

• psuedofy
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: long island, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

i want to learn how to overclock my cpu....athlon xp 1.20ghz i dont have any manuals or anything like that
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Kap-Vu
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Indianapolis, IN

Post 3+ Months Ago

download a program called ClockGen

I used it to overclocked. The site has some good info on how to start.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just to let you know, O/Cing your CPU voids your warrenty.

If you melt it to your mobo, on your own hands be it, neither Intel or AMD will take responsability.

Other than that ... have fun :D
  • Uncle_Slappy
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: McMinnville, OR

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here is something to think about before you begin your trip down to the dark side of of the fsb. :)

The first thing that you will want to do is make sure that your MoBo will even support overclocking. Then you can do it one of three ways:

1. FSB bump (normal is 133MHz so a bump to 166MHZ will bring up the core speed)

2. Voltage to the processor. This is usually done in the CMOS of your mobo if OC is supported

3. 3rd party application like mentioned above.

I will now take the time to discourage you from this folly as you will not only void your warranty with AMD, but you will decrease the life span of your processor by running it beyond factory specification for any length of time...even if you were to install a heatsink the size of Kansas to keep the bloody thing cool.

The Athlon processor runs pretty hot to begin with, and running one overclocked will only serve to increase the amount of heat that is generated.

If you want to take the path of least resistance for a 5-15% increase feel free...just go into this with your eyes open to the possible concequences to your equipment. :wink:
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Or you can do what I did, convince my university that a good thermodynamics project would be if I overclocked a processor with different cooling options and get them to fit the bill. :-D

Fill out some BS paperwork, write a 30 page paper, make an hour long presentation maybe 2-3 times and stick them with the $30,000 bill.

Then take a P4 shove it into a cryovac freezer running at 200K and overclock away! Then learn by experience that you can bring home and put to your computers.

Personally however, I don't overclock my home systems anymore. I can build a ridiculous system and make it a tax writeoff at this point. Besides, the stuff I buy is so expensive that I really don't wanna blow it up. When I upgrade I'll blow it up :twisted: That is if I don't end up giving it to friends or family members.
  • psuedofy
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

GT500Shlby wrote:
Or you can do what I did, convince my university that a good thermodynamics project would be if I overclocked a processor with different cooling options and get them to fit the bill. :-D

Fill out some BS paperwork, write a 30 page paper, make an hour long presentation maybe 2-3 times and stick them with the $30,000 bill.

Then take a P4 shove it into a cryovac freezer running at 200K and overclock away! Then learn by experience that you can bring home and put to your computers.

Personally however, I don't overclock my home systems anymore. I can build a ridiculous system and make it a tax writeoff at this point. Besides, the stuff I buy is so expensive that I really don't wanna blow it up. When I upgrade I'll blow it up :twisted: That is if I don't end up giving it to friends or family members.

im in high school....16 years old
do u have any spare computer parts laying around that i might be able to buy from u for a fair price?
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

hustlinpapi1 wrote:
GT500Shlby wrote:

im in high school....16 years old
do u have any spare computer parts laying around that i might be able to buy from u for a fair price?

Due to new laws and restrictions, organisations are now no longer allowed to just "dump" computer components, VDU's or the system itself. All parts must now be recycled where possible or disposed of correctly if not in use.

Where I`m going with this is see if there is a local PC refirbishing company near you [ got a few where I live ]. They will be able to sell you computer components professionaly reclaimed and at a fraction of the original cost.

Just a thought.
  • psuedofy
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

are u saying that its illegal to buy from him????
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

No not at all.

What I`m saying is that he is unable to supply you with any components and you don't want to buy brand new components because your on a budget then see if there is a local PC refurbishing company near you as they may be able to help you.
  • psuedofy
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

o ok i ovastand
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

When I was done with them, there were no more spare parts left that would function correctly. The whole point was blow-up the processor.

The actually scientific gain was the design of a silent peltier driven water cooler. By adding silver nitrate to the water you are able to lower the freezing point, although you also lower the specific heat. However the gain outweighs the loss by far. This enabled running computers at 0 C. Throw a nice big heatsink on the hot side of the plate and boom, you have yourself one kickbutt water cooler. Downside is, each one costs at least $450-$500 to build.

Anyway, I don't sell any of my older computers. They usually end up going to my sister or other family members that need them. My niece is going to college, gave her my old Athlon 1800+ with 1.5GB of PC2700, her system was faster than all those kids with the brand new P4 Dell's. Throw it in a sexy Lian Li case and oooh whee, she was the envy of the computer geeks.
  • psuedofy
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

how can i tell what my pc number is?? like pc 2700 or pc3200 etc...
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Download CPU-Z at http://www.cpuid.org/cpuz.php
See what it says the memory clock is at.
2700 would be 333Mhz
3200 would be 400Mhz
  • psuedofy
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

would the a8n sli motherboard support overclocking??? how would i know
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Almost all Asus Motherboards allow overclocking.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

hustlinpapi1 wrote:
would the a8n sli motherboard support overclocking??? how would i know

The A8N SLI & A8N SLI DELUXE are great Overclockers !!

The Deluxe is the board I have sent off for ... bloody amazing bit of kit.
  • psuedofy
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

i cant see a difference between the asus a8nsli deluxe and regular versions....which one of them support 2000mhz???
with the dual gpu is it true that u have to set it at pci express x8 to use the two chips at once? would it be better to just use a high quality chip at pci x16???
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

Both the A8N SLI and the A8N SLI Deluxe support up to 2Ghz Max Bus Speed.

As for your other question, I honestly don't know. Somebody else should mind.
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Wiltshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

The Deluxe has an extra SATA controler too allow up too 8 HD's to be connected, this also allows raid 5. Its not really worth the money unless your into raids.
  • psuedofy
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

what is raids??? video cards ?
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

*plum* wrote:
The Deluxe has an extra SATA controler too allow up too 8 HD's to be connected, this also allows raid 5. Its not really worth the money unless your into raids.

Ahh now you mention that, I do remeber reading about the 8 SATA connectors !! :P

RAID = Redundant Array of Independent (or Inexpensive) Disks

Definitions:
  1. Level 0 -- Striped Disk Array without Fault Tolerance: Provides data striping (spreading out blocks of each file across multiple disk drives) but no redundancy. This improves performance but does not deliver fault tolerance. If one drive fails then all data in the array is lost.
  2. Level 1 -- Mirroring and Duplexing: Provides disk mirroring. Level 1 provides twice the read transaction rate of single disks and the same write transaction rate as single disks.
  3. Level 2 -- Error-Correcting Coding: Not a typical implementation and rarely used, Level 2 stripes data at the bit level rather than the block level.
  4. Level 3 -- Bit-Interleaved Parity: Provides byte-level striping with a dedicated parity disk. Level 3, which cannot service simultaneous multiple requests, also is rarely used.
  5. Level 4 -- Dedicated Parity Drive: A commonly used implementation of RAID, Level 4 provides block-level striping (like Level 0) with a parity disk. If a data disk fails, the parity data is used to create a replacement disk. A disadvantage to Level 4 is that the parity disk can create write bottlenecks.
  6. Level 5 -- Block Interleaved Distributed Parity: Provides data striping at the byte level and also stripe error correction information. This results in excellent performance and good fault tolerance. Level 5 is one of the most popular implementations of RAID.
  7. Level 6 -- Independent Data Disks with Double Parity: Provides block-level striping with parity data distributed across all disks.
  8. Level 0+1 – A Mirror of Stripes: Not one of the original RAID levels, two RAID 0 stripes are created, and a RAID 1 mirror is created over them. Used for both replicating and sharing data among disks.
  9. Level 10 – A Stripe of Mirrors: Not one of the original RAID levels, multiple RAID 1 mirrors are created, and a RAID 0 stripe is created over these.
  10. Level 7: A trademark of Storage Computer Corporation that adds caching to Levels 3 or 4.
  11. RAID S: EMC Corporation's proprietary striped pairty RAID system used in its Symmetrix storage systems.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 21 posts