Overclocking

• alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Pakistan

Post 3+ Months Ago

What exactly is overclocking ? Ive heard this word alot but never understood what it actually means. Also whatever it is how can i overclock my graphic card ?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• hiryux
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm no expert in oc'ing... but if you're looking for a conceptual definition, I think we could summarize it in the following statement:

"Overclocking allows your hardware to do what vendors say it should not be able to do"

Most hardware are able to go a little bit faster than what they are set to... usually, it is basically juicing up the power going in different places of the hardware, making it work harder and faster.

This also brings overhead in heat, which is why you should always overclock in SMALL INCREMENTS, and test it... u don't want to fry it...

Most graphics cards come with a overclocking software... radlinker for ATI is an example... I think Asus are a little bit better for overclocking, at least that's what they were known for when I looked them up, about 5 or so years ago...

Anyway, I'm sure I'm missing a whole lot of stuff, as I said, I'm no overclock guru...

But some things you should always be attentive to is:

1. Temperature under load (and not)
2. System stability after overclocking
3. Surrounding hardware's temperature and integrity.

If you're really careful and take care of these points, you should be safe in overclocking your computer ^^
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Overclocking is simply increasing the "Clock" speeds of certain components within your computer.

All components within the same series are based on the same chipset/core. Therefore, there is the possability that a components at the bottom end of the series has the potential to run at the speed of the component at the top end of the series. This is not always possible due to many reasons.

For example, a more common overclock at the moment is the AMD Opteron CPU, alot of people by the 1.8GHz lower end CPU but manage to overclock the CPU to around 3GHz.

With relation to a CPU, the overclock is gained through a combination of increased vCore (Core Voltage) and increasing the FSB and/or multipiler. The idea behind the increase in vCore is that, the more power you wish to get out of the CPU you need to supply the component with more power.

Unfortunalty though, overclocking has its limits. The more voltage you supply, the greater the heat output and therefore a possability of component failure if the temperatures increase too much.

Below is a quick guide to overclocking:
http://www.overclock.net/faqs/31782-how ... ts-my.html
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

So what youre saying is that basically if i overclock my graphic card it would just make it run faster ?
  • Nagumo
  • Nagumo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Generally yes, overclocking just speeds up your graphics card.

But of course increasing the stock speeds of your card is going to make it work harder and therefore produce more heat. I've overclocked quite a bit in the past, but i generally don't bother anymore. My reason for this is I don't feel you really get that much perfromance boost, sometimes only 5-10 fps higher.
If your really unhappy with your framerate an extra 10fps doesn't really make that much difference. Better off dropping the settings....

Just my opinion of course. no flamming from oc's please :p
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

alamode wrote:
So what youre saying is that basically if i overclock my graphic card it would just make it run faster ?

It would increase the performance of your GFX card yes.

Overclocking is not just for your GFX card, it applies to your RAM and CPU aswell.

To get an overall system performance boost you really need to look at overclocking all components.
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okey, i think i understand MOST of what you guys have told me but not all :) Anyways how do we overclock ? I mean i want to get good graphics quality in my games so how do i overclock my GFX card ?
  • Nagumo
  • Nagumo

Post 3+ Months Ago

If your an Nvidia user and using the detonator drivers you should download Coolbits 2. Just right click on the file and choose 'install' to add the file to your registry. Afterward you'll have overclocking and addtional option from within your Detonator settings (right click on desktop/ Nvidia display). From there you will notice a new menu called 'Clock Frequency Settings'

Its a good idea to make a note of the clock frequencies, also maybe run 3dmark or any other 3D benchmark so that you can record the differences in scores after the overclock. Maybe even take a note of your GPU's temp during load before the clock.

Choose manual overclocking, accept the agreement. then hit the 'Detect Optimal Frequencies' button and wait a few seconds. When it has finished you should notice the clock frequencies shou;d have changed. As a rule, these settings should be safe as long as all your cooling is working fine.

Now run your 3D benchmark again and pay attention to look for any artifacts or any other nasty sideffects, like polygon tearing.

From here on its a case of upping the clocks bit by bit +5 +10. Making sure to benchmark after each clock jump to prevent clocking to high.

Just because the new clock speeds are accepted, doesn't mean they will be stable.

If your an ATI person you can try RivaTuner or ATI Tool. Sorry never been an ATI user so can't say much more about that..... There maybe some better ATI Tools, i'm sure someone here will correct me ;)

As for overclocking your CPU or RAM, the method for this is going to differ depending on your hardware. Motherboard make? AMD? INTEL? got some specs and brands for us.

Hope this is some help.
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks alot man. I have Nvidia and i am using Intel Motherboard.
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

just erm, dont expect alot ;)

if you are doing it to your graphics card, you will probably only see a few frames per second more. some people are lucky and their hardware can be pushed way over the limit, but remember there is always a risk, and good chance of shortening the lifespan
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can get more than just a few extra FPS through overclocking your GFX card.

If your whole system is set up as overclock friendly then you can get some pretty good results. Its not going to double your FPS or anything, but an extra 20 or so FPS is a decent overclock.

Overclocking is not just limited to your GFX card though, your CPU and your RAM are both able of overclocking.
  • lemiwinks1
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: out of my mind:its dark and scary in there

Post 3+ Months Ago

keep in mind that at certain levels overclocking will void almost any manufacturers waranty. an added risk so tread lightly and read your hardwares manuals for warranty information. unless you dont care about voiding waranties.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts