Overclocking

• alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Pakistan

Post 3+ Months Ago

How do you overclock Graphics cards and Processors so they can run faster ? Im new to overclocking and have never done it before. Does it really make a difference ? I mean is the difference even noticeble ? If not then whats the use of overclocking it ?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

your best bet is to buy a faster card. unless you have extra crash to play with overclocking.. if you fry it then it will be worthless.. that said if you want to over clock your card google the card model and the word overclock or go here
http://www.google.ca/search?hs=rRR&hl=e ... tnG=Search
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Personaly I am with Cowkiller on this one. Overclocking your GPU is not worth the hassle.

I did overclock a 6800GT once ... got a bit over excited and managed to corrupt my GPU RAM so I now have the defunct GPU sitting on my desk as a reminder of what not to do.

Overclocking is fine for CPU, FSB & RAM, but I am now more inclined just to buy a better GPU if I want a graphics performance boost.
  • unstopabl3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • unstopabl3

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't recommend overclocking anything, look at it in this way, if you have 5 chocolates and you have the choice to eat it all an once or eating one each day for 5 days what would you choose ? Sure eating all of the chocolates in one day sounds pretty tempting but you will end up not enjoying it if you eat them all at once and offcource for some people you won't be able to eat all of them at once. But if you were to eat one chocolate each day you would enjoy it much more and would have enuph space in your stomach to enjoy all of it without overeating and in the end getting a tummy or tooth ache. Same thing applies to overclocking, you will see improvement and joyness for limited time only, and after a few days/month the hardware will malfunction because of all the extra load, and you will end up spending money to get it repaired or in most cases buying a new product. So moral of this story is to keep away from overcloaking.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

No offence dude but wtf does eating chocolate have to do with overclocking ? :?

Also, what you mentioned about "hardware malfunction" is not totaly true. If you know what you are doing and are not overly stupid with your voltages etc ... you can manage very stable overclocks that only reduce the life expectancy of your components to a minimum.

Obviously if your a total fool and just slap your core voltage up 1v, your RAM voltage up 1v, increase your FSB & Multipiler insane amounts, something is going to give ... but there are loads of O/C guides on the next that guide you through overclocking and give a safe and stable O/C.

The "improvement and joyness" may not be for a limited time .... if your mate has a similar setup at stock, and yours is overclocked to the roof ... your going to be loving the fact your get 20 more FPS than him/her.
  • unstopabl3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • unstopabl3

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like to explain to people unlike some people i know [sarcams] The terms and details your providing even i find them hard to understand at some point, i am not too sure if a novice like "alamode" gets even a single bit of what you say, that's why i took a step ahead to explain in simpler terms for him/her to understand better, and i am hoping it helps. Now what i said about overclocking will run out your hardware soon is a fact and any person with limited computer hardware knowlege should know about it.

Overclocking = Hardware Enhancement Through The Roof = Computer Overload
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

Overclocking does as you has stated decrease the life expectancy of your O/Ced components but not that sigificantly.

By the time you notice your CPU has melted itself to your mobo, it is time to upgrade anyway.

Quote:
after a few days/month the hardware will malfunction

^^ lol ?!

A few days ? What are you using to keep your components cool ... a straw and your breath ?

Quote:
Now what i said about overclocking will run out your hardware soon is a fact and any person with limited computer hardware knowlege should know about it.

^^ Very true, but at the same time anyone with even LIMITED knowledge of computers knows that you can get a stable overclock and not "kill" your components within the first few hours of watching your favorite pr0n moive.
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

what Enigmatic is trying to say is take your time move vary slow do a lot of reading on your components, dont use a a straw and your breath to keep your cpu cool ( lol ), and just keep in mind that you can go to far vary easy.. if you dont have the money for this kind of thing then dont do it.. and keep in mind that it will void any warrantys you may have.

keep it kool dude and enjoy!
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Heh, i liked that choclate theory though. So overclocking is not worth it ? I certainly dont want to eat 5 choclates in a day and end up with a tooth decay :).
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

alamode wrote:
Heh, i liked that choclate theory though. So overclocking is not worth it ? I certainly dont want to eat 5 choclates in a day and end up with a tooth decay :).

It is entirely up to yourself alamode, you can do as unstopabl3 has suggested and leave Overclocking well alone if your not to sure about it [ althought someone one hwere including myself would be more that willing to guide you further ] or you can go ahead and do a small overclock.

I currently have my computer overclocked, not a massive O/C but one that give me a few more 3dMarks and I enjoy the benifits of a few extra FPS [ Frames Per Second ] in my games [ from 2.2 to 2.6, did have it at 2.8 but my RAM didnt like it ... need new RAM ].
  • unstopabl3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • unstopabl3

Post 3+ Months Ago

alamode wrote:

Atleast someone appreciates a good attempt at story writing :P
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Lol, nah i think im ok without it. Because recently i had my motherboard burnt so i dont want to burn something else just yet. I have yet to get a new motherboard :).

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts