Overheat on SATA disks

• djdiego71
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • djdiego71

Post 3+ Months Ago

My two SATA disks are very hot, is normal this? I can't put my fingers on the disk for more than 4-5 seconds.
And the option SMART in the bios is set enabled but only show info about my IDE disk, not for the SATA. May be because the disks are in RAID 0 mode?
My mobo is MSI K7N2G ILSR.

How much heat is normal? A case for the disk may help to reduce this heat?

Thanks again.

PD.: Both disks are DiamondMax Plus 9 200GB Sata.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• xamix
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • xamix

Post 3+ Months Ago

Download Everest (it´s been discontinued this free edition but this link still works):
http://www.zdnet.de/downloads/prg/1/x/de011X_is-wc.html
it shoul give you the tems of the disks.
I have two sata discs and the temps change a lot (like the one at the top is at 37º while the other is only at 28º)..you can also put a cooler in front of them or try to separate them the max you can.
  • djdiego71
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • djdiego71

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, I put two coolers for HDD on every disk, now the temp is fine.
But another issue appear.

One disk report some failures on read data. Then chkdsk cant repair & some dirs are missing.

I'm disconnect boths disks and connected in another PC in my job and run chkdsk. All work fine.
HDD Regenerator fix all bad blocks and all test report good blocks on both disks.

When I decide go to technical services for test my power supply on my case, and perform a profesional test on my disks, the technician say there aren't nothing to do. He cant perform a serious test beacuse is very expensive and say that bad's blocks on my HDD may be return and my power supply don't be the source of my problems.

OK, my quetions are:
A defective power supply can damage HDD? If this HDD aparently works fine on another PC, this bads blocks may be returned?
  • pandela
  • pandela

Post 3+ Months Ago

I do not know can bad blocks appear by defective power supply, but it may damage any hardware. Download a hardware monitor tool like motherboard monitor http://mbm.livewiredev.com/ and check the voltages. If there are any serious differences between the normal values (+12V +5V, -5V), will be better to replace your PS.
  • djdiego71
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • djdiego71

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a software to monitor voltages, it come with motherboard (MSI) and never had any advice about the voltage.
Thanks again.
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

As long as you do not exceed the wattage the power supply is rated at, and the voltages fall within the following tolerances:

+5VDC ± 5 %
-5VDC (if used) ± 10 %
+12VDC± 5 %
-12VDC± 10 %
+3.3VDC ± 4 %
+5VSB ± 5 %

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts