overheating athlon 2800 barton

• twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have an Athlon 2800 barton clocked at 2.0ghz
when ever my computer uses 100% cpu at about 2 minutes of having it at 100% my computer shuts down and i have to turn off the power and then turn it on again for it to even come on. Could it be that when i installed my volcano 12 that i didnt apply enough thermal paste that it isnt making contact or because i have it inside a kind of compartment that the heat cant get out. I installed my volcano 12 the first time and it wouldnt even get to loading windows. It would just shut off randomly and have to turn off the power and back on again for it to come on. I reinstalled it and it worked but it would shutdown at about 140'F. Should i reinstall the Volcano 12 and apply more thermal paste and make sure it will work by running prime 95 or just let it shutdown on me. I have no way of getting the air out of the compartment because my mom wont let me take it out of where it is. It is really annoying.

Thanks
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

It seems like it still isnt seated well on the cpu. I would take off and try again.

If it still doesn't work, go to radioshack and buy a thermistor. They are in the parts drawer with all the other resistors, and cost around $2.00. Solder some long leads on it, and put it in the middle of the fins of your heatsink. On the back of the package, there is a tempature-to-resistance chart. Hook a multimeter up to your leads, and turn on your computer. Let it run for a bit, and then compare the tempature reading from your multimeter to what your motherboard is saying. If you have a good thermal connection between the heatsink and the CPU, the difference between the two should be pretty close. I did this little test with a computer I had once that kept overheating, and found the cpu tempature was way above what the heatsink was. This means the heatsink is not pulling the heat off the CPU very well. I got a different heatsink/fan, and all was well.
  • twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks alot
i was gonna try and reinstall it in the first place
i would have to let my dad so the soldering stuff
i would probably melt my hands if it did it
i dont think i need a new heatsink because this all started when i got it
although the stock heatsink wasnt enough that doesnt really matter
  • ScienceOfSpock
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Las Vegas

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have 2 XP 2800+'s and I use Volcano 11's on both (One without HS paste)
Generally speaking, 140F (60C) is not overheating the processor. I would look elsewhere for your problem (possibly the chipset, or maybe a BIOS related problem)
  • twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

dude
you neeed to get heatsink paste on that thing
that should cool things down and i think its crazy to not have any on there
i suggest ceramique arctic silver
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I too have a Barton 2800+. Apply a half pea size size of paste and make sure the heat sink is the sorrect way around cos I have done it wrong in the past!!!!
  • twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

do i need to spread the heatsink material around the core or just leave it in a blob and it will spread it self out

i spreaded the material around the core
so that shouldnt be my problem
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

you guys are lucky, i have dell box, OC'ing is locked
*proceeds w/ four hours of continuous swearing*
good luck with this
  • twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol
thats one reason i built my own computer
and also the bad is that i have an a7v600-x when i probably should have gotten one of the an A7N8X-X
i'm planning on getting one of those once the price goes down
or after my cpu goes down cause i destroy it
that wouldnt be a happy time for me or my parents
but is it possible to transplant a cpu from one motherboard to another if its all the same except for the model motherboard. like for me could i take my athlon from my a7v600-x to the A7N8X-X? I am guessing you could

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts