overheating!!!

• wishfire
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • wishfire
  • Loc: yorkshire, england

Post 3+ Months Ago

has anyone got any tips for overheating? I've already got a fan placed at the back of my pc on full blast n i have a little responce, but not much.
Anyone know any other means of keeping my pc from overheating this summer?
Note that i am skint and can't afford 2 buy any extra fans etc...
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Under Your Bed

Post 3+ Months Ago

You Should go into water cooling its THE BEST. heres a link to get you started.

http://www.edazz.com/awarlicosy.html

(thats the one i use...) im gunna go into overClocking soo gunna need it.
  • wishfire
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • wishfire

Post 3+ Months Ago

do you not understand the word "skint"?
  • ScienceOfSpock
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Las Vegas

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, What do you mean by overheating? Is it running a little hot? Is your motherboard giving an audible warning and shutting down?
What processor do you use? Can you list the temperatures?
  • wishfire
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • wishfire

Post 3+ Months Ago

no idea on temperatures. but i'm on windows xp and determined as i am, i wana play my game without error interuptions followed by a reboot. I've already got a fan on full blast at the back of my pc to keep it cool, but it ain't helping
  • ScienceOfSpock
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, so what motherboard and processor do you have?

Most modern motherboards have heat protection built in, and will sound an alarm before shutting down the computer. Your problem sounds more like your power supply isn't powerful enough.
You can list your power supply specs as well. They can be found on the side of the power supply inside your case.
  • wishfire
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • wishfire

Post 3+ Months Ago

ha, getting inside my case is like taking part in kripton factor. I tried just the other day 2 get rid of some dust on my fan - rather unsuccessful.
i think i'll leave taking off the case 2 an expert lol
  • ScienceOfSpock
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well then perhaps you should take your overheating problem to an expert as well. With the little bit of info you have given, I'm betting on a power problem, not overheating.
Without more information, there is little we can do to help but guess.
  • wishfire
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • wishfire

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, well thanks anyway
  • TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

By dusting off your components you'll cool down your componenets by quite a bit.

Also, if he can't afford a fan how could he afford water cooling?
  • tejasxp
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • tejasxp
  • Loc: Singapore

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have a 3.4 giz P4 and a fan which was orginally in the back of the cabinet. the nosie esp when i play games was getting me down very badly, so i actually cut a hole in the cabinet side directly opposite to the processor heatsink, moved the fan there and made it pump air directly on the heatsink. and it makes so much difference.
the rpm of the processor-heatsink fan came down by atleast 2000 and my pc runs quiter than my ceiling fan
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am probably under the correct assumption that your computer is a retail unit purchased from Dell, HP, IBM, Gateway or some other variant thereof. If this is so, please list the make and model of the computer manufacturer.

If your computer was purchased from a small retail computer store, like PC-NU, then please contact them to assert what components are inside your PC.

- Does your computer have a warranty?
    - How old is this PC?
    - What Operating System are you running?
    - If it is XP, is it Home or Pro?
    - What makes you think that your problem is caused by an overheating component?
    - What is the ambient (room) temperature of the location of your PC?

Your computer sounds fairly new from the processor description that you furnished. You may have some good fortune in bringing the computer to the place of purchase or calling their help line and describing the problem you are facing. If your computer was manufactured by one of the large computer builders listed above, even if you did not purchase the system from them directly, you may still be entitled to utilize the computers warranty.
  • wishfire
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • wishfire

Post 3+ Months Ago

My pc was actually purchased from a popular pawn shop called Cash Converters so i doubt they'll help me. But the make of my PC is a company called ACER.
I have noticed that placing a normal fan facing the back of pc works, but it seems its only a temporary solution as eventually it goes back 2 having a tantrum and resetting on me.
I guess it's just such a drag during summer, maybe u can advise me on whats best to install that i can save up and buy 4 next summer?
No way am i going thru this a second time. My amiga never had these problems ^_^
  • wishfire
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • wishfire

Post 3+ Months Ago

My pc was actually purchased from a popular pawn shop called Cash Converters so i doubt they'll help me. But the make of my PC is a company called ACER.
I have noticed that placing a normal fan facing the back of pc works, but it seems its only a temporary solution as eventually it goes back 2 having a tantrum and resetting on me.
I guess it's just such a drag during summer, maybe u can advise me on whats best to install that i can save up and buy 4 next summer?
No way am i going thru this a second time. My amiga never had these problems ^_^
  • wishfire
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • wishfire

Post 3+ Months Ago

• GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try calling ACER. If it gets to be 90F+ where you keep your computer, and it runs hot already, you will definately have problems keeping it cool without spending some extra money.
  • wishfire
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • wishfire

Post 3+ Months Ago

i'm planning on getting some extra fans for next year, hopefully my money problems should be sorted by then. If i phone the computer company, they'll more than likely only suggest ways that are costly.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

From my experiences with dell, no matter how you got the computer (other than it being stolen) If the system still has an applicable warranty, they will fix a problem or defect with it. Call them up and be like, this computer overheats like crazy. They will probably just throw a better cooler on the proc and send it to you.

Also try to look for a Thermaltake CPU cooler, They have coolers that go for $7.00 to $10.00 US.
  • wishfire
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • wishfire

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey thanks, I'll give it a try with ACER and I'll shop around for prices and whats available.
^_^
  • tejasxp
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • tejasxp
  • Loc: Singapore

Post 3+ Months Ago

try applying some artic silver between the processor and the heatsink.. the problem might be due to the heat not being effeciently transferred from the processor to the heatsink.. if that does not happen, no matter how many fans u have cooling would be pretty crappy
  • sandman6471
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • sandman6471
  • Loc: In My Dreams

Post 3+ Months Ago

If the fan is blowing at the back of the computer it might be hurting more than helping. The power supply is trying to remove some of the hot air, you can try placing a small desk fan at the front of your case a few inches away and let it blow into the front of your case this might help move the hot air out.

Just an Idea.....

Oh Yeah, I know what skint means.............Flat Broke!!! :cry:
  • Quiet12
  • Quiet12

Post 3+ Months Ago

My computers C gets over 100 C and my 2 fans work fine..i mean when i put my hand in there its cold in there. i dont understand its anew comp...any other advice except buy more fans cos im kinda broke..lol perhaps i should dust or something too?
thx in advance
:(
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quiet12 wrote:
My computers C gets over 100 C and my 2 fans work fine..i mean when i put my hand in there its cold in there. i dont understand its anew comp...any other advice except buy more fans cos im kinda broke..lol perhaps i should dust or something too?
thx in advance
:(

100°C? Are you sure it's not 100°F?

100°C is 212°F and would most likely cause thermal shutdown somewhere around the 75°C/167°F mark. You also say, “My computers C” - are you referring to your hard disk drive? If that's the case it wouldn't make it past 55°C/131°F.
  • Quiet12
  • Quiet12

Post 3+ Months Ago

i put C as a degree mark..lol well my fan on the mother board the thing it is attached to(whatever it is big silver thingy) was hot as hell when i shut my comp down..so i cleaned it from all the dust..my comp stopped doing awful noises though..but my explorer seems slow still and other things are still same..even though fresh xp is installed no other programs except the ones xp installs..and i don't know how to check my comp temperature..it used to show me when i restarted...as it was overheating it got stuck and all..it has not gotten stuck yet cos its been in like few mins..+ no places to attach more fans :shock:
lol
forgive me im a female and quite an idiot in comps
Quiet12
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

No worries, we don't gender discriminate.

Computer's are not hard to understand. It's just a lot of jargon that most people won't run across in normal daily life. Past that all you need is patience and a cool head.

That silver thing seems to me to be your heatsink for the processor. Is their a fan ontop of it? If it's hot, thats a good thing - it means its taking the heat away from your processor. The dust could have clogged a fan and caused ti to make a nasty chewbacca being run through a wood chipper type of sound.

Overheating hardware won't necessarily cause slow operation. It will cause crashes from time to time though. Are you talking about Internet Explorer or Windows Explorer? It could be more of a hardware driver problem.
  • EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

whats a "female?"

:lol: lol jp
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

You have questions, we have beads. You need answers........... :oops:

Yes, yes I'm an :asshole:

Anyway, just joking. Check your device drivers for your ethernet card or modem. Also you might just need to tweak the system a little to get explorer to speed up.
  • Quiet12
  • Quiet12

Post 3+ Months Ago

well my comp seems to be working now :D
and i took firefox in its a lot faster than explorer(internet exp) lol
but thx for the tips and aid anyways..now i know what the silver thingy is LOL :imwithstupid:
:oops:
Luv
Quiet12
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cool Beans!
  • EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

GT500Shlby wrote:
Cool Beans!

:? weird lol

you know what i hate? its ppl that post 1 topic, get answers and.....disappear completely

sorry :lol: just had to get that out of my system.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 37 posts