Hi there people, before i start here's my specs:
p4 3000ht
fic-p4-800m motherboard
256mb ati9800se
creative audigy 2zs
1gig 333
300w p/s
winxp

i mostly use my pc for games, and that's where my problem starts, i can play slightly older games (ut2004,pes4) on max settings all night with no problem, but with the newest games (half life 2, battlefield 2) my computer gives error messages saying memory could not be read, or goes to a blue screen then restarts.
The only way to get round the problems above seems to be taking the side off my pc and aiming a large desktop fan inside the case, then i can play any of my games all night.
I'd like any tips or suggestions to what component in my pc is likely to be overheating. I've got fan/heatsink on both proccesor and agp card and one system fan at the back of my case, please help my pc looks stupid with massive fan next to it!
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Only 1 fan at the rear? You probably want a fan or two in the front as well. If you can fit a 120mm fan on the back I would do so, and throw a few 80mm or 120mm's in the front.

I would also look into some better CPU coolers, maybe even a better graphics card cooler.

CPU Cooler: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835106061

VGA:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835124006
  • tmz81
  • tmz81

Post 3+ Months Ago

i've ordered a agp card cooler( http://www.thecoolingshop.com/product_i ... ts_id/1091 ) but i don't have much more money to spend, would my psu be ok with more fans drawing from it? any other tips?
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would also really suggest to get some arctic silver 5 or ceramique heat paste instead of the stock stuf the cooler will give you. But budgets are budgets.

Do you have a way of measuring the temperatures of your graphics card and processor? Whats the ambient temperature of the room?
  • tmz81
  • tmz81

Post 3+ Months Ago

I live in scotland (ambient temp not a problem!)
I have speedfan v4.24 not clear what it is taking the temp of though, here they are
temp1: 34'c
temp2: 39'c
temp3: 22'c
hdo: 46'c
temp1: 40'c (i know this ones here already but thats what it says)
it tells me the speed my two fans are doing as well
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, your system temps seem to be fine. I think that the VGA cooler should solve your problem. When you get it throw it on and let her rip then let us know.
  • tmz81
  • tmz81

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for the help i'll try it when it comes in
  • tmz81
  • tmz81

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello again, i recieved my coolermaster cool viva and there was no fan in it so i've sent it back, but now they are out of stock, are artic coolers good for ati's?http://www.thecoolingshop.com/product_info.php/cPath/98_3/products_id/1132,
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

tmz81 wrote:
Hello again, i recieved my coolermaster cool viva and there was no fan in it so i've sent it back, but now they are out of stock, are artic coolers good for ati's?http://www.thecoolingshop.com/product_info.php/cPath/98_3/products_id/1132,

It say's its made for ATi. So it should fit and should work. If it doesn't send it back as defective and make a stink about the previous one not having a fan and get an even better one for cheaper or free.

Quote:
he Arctic Cooling ATI Silencer 1 is ideal for ATI Radeon 9600/9700/9800 based graphic cards. It offers substantially better cooling performance over the ATI reference cooler. With the Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer makes use of DHE (Direct Heat Exhaust) system. This carries the warm exhaust air directly from inside the case, thus the inside case temperatures are lower. By the large aluminum radiator box with copper base plate it needs only a slowly turning exhaust fan, in order to keep things cool. Thus operating at a very low noise level!
  • FOOLIN
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • FOOLIN

Post 3+ Months Ago

i know this isn't under the right subject but it somewhat relates to it. Im wondering how to check your computer tempeature.
  • tmz81
  • tmz81

Post 3+ Months Ago

i use program called speedfan

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts