Ozzu.com SETI@Home Team

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

JrzyCrim wrote:
I'm in. I found my password and joined the team. Now all I need to do is reinstall my software and start crunching... :D

*lol -- only one unit behind me at the moment! *grins

Oddly, now I see that all the stats are updated. I'm also wondering how you get the URL link to your website in the handle? Is that part of setting up a profile? (I haven't done that yet.)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'll probably never catch up with you ATNO. :) I don't think I'll be able to coax my system into processing faster than you.

Yeah, you can put a homepage in your profile.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks -- I'll have to do that soon, but didn't want to create it until I had fomulated the appropriate thoughts. Catching up?...yeah...might be a problem...I have three fast CPU's working it and expect to add a few more "latent" ones around work at first opportunity. I nixed my old P160 today because it was over 50 hours CPU time and hadn't gotten through a quarter of the first unit. Didn't want that skewing things. I feel if OZZU is going to do a thing, then I'm going to help it out ! *grins.

If you get the details on that faster command line thing, let us know.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
musik wrote:
Well folks, I am going to tip my head from side to side and pull on my bubble gum and ask the unobvious question of ... So how does this determine if there is Extraterrestrial Intelligence?

:)

(I don't get what it is your all doing)

Start here, Musik

http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/learnmore.html

Cool thanks ATNO, it all seems very strange to me, however it must make sense if so many people do it!! I am only on a dial up so my computer isn't ever connected when I am not using it, so that counts me out, good luck though!!
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hehe, yeah. I've only got one computer (900 Mhz). My average time for a work unit was around 7.5 hours.

I just downloaded the command line version, Seti Driver, and a program called Seti-Spy. I've got everything up and running.

These programs are for Windows.

Here's the link for each of them:

setiathome-3.08.i386-winnt-cmdline.exe

setiathome-3.03.i386-winnt-cmdline.exe

Client Download Page

Seti Driver

Seti-Spy

Seti spy is a handy program to have if you are using the command line version. It displays your current progress, info about the current work unit you are processing, and lots of other things. It's not necessary however.

It's pretty easy to setup. Just create a folder in which to place the client. Extract the SetiDriver.zip archive to that same folder. If you downloaded Seti-Spy, extract the zip to the same folder.

Next, follow these first run instructions: http://www.wakeassoc.com/setidriver/fir ... ctions.htm

The client will then start processing the first unit. When it's finished, you can hit transmit to send the results or they can be sent automatically by checking the auto-transmit button. Another unit will be downloaded immediately after a result is transmitted.

The cache is a really nice feature. If you plan on being away from your computer for a time, SetiDriver will keep the client busy processing units. You could download enough units for days of processing. It's also handy to have extra work units standing by incase of server troubles.

While your client is processing, you can launch Seti-spy to view stats and other info. Just follow the instructions when you run it for the first time. It's pretty easy.

I've included links to both the 3.03 and the 3.08 versions. A lot of users prefer the 3.03 version because it is faster. However, there are some issues with that version. http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/version308.html

If you need a linux version (or other), go to the client download page. Here's a useful utility for linux users: http://lin-seti.sourceforge.net/about.php

I only listed the programs I have direct experience with. There are many add-on programs, including utilities for networks, that you can check out here: http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/links_addons.html
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

musik wrote:
Cool thanks ATNO, it all seems very strange to me, however it must make sense if so many people do it!! I am only on a dial up so my computer isn't ever connected when I am not using it, so that counts me out, good luck though!!

No it doesn't. :) I'm on dialup and it works just fine. You only have to be online to send results or download a new unit. They are pretty small in size. around 340KB.
  • Cae
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

im running the command line client with the SetiBuffer add-on: http://home.setibuffer.com/

it allows you to buffer work units, so if youre on dial-up you can dowload a bunch, and then just sit offline for a bit, analyze them, and then send in the results...

it also gets rid of that damn window on your startbar (it will minimize itself to your system tray), and also displays a nice little, non-resource comsuming progress bar...

i have 3 computers running it... my computer, which does packets at around 3.5 hours each, my parents computer, which does packets at about 8 hours each, and my file server, which takes about 26 hours... :P

ooo, and on a side note, we are rebuilding all the computers in the labs at school... and i convinced my boss/computer teacher person to let me stick SETI on them, because they do sit idle most of the time... :) im going to stick the graphical client on them though, because it just looks cool... just to walk into the lab and see the computers all running the little signal-analyzer animation thingy...
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's cool. :) Seti-Driver basically has the same features. It will hide the client as well. I've only used Seti-Driver. I'll check out the other to see how it runs.

The screensaver does look pretty cool. They are a lot slower though.
  • Freakyp
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: M'boro. TN, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

sweet.... I joined today, although ive been running SETI@Home for about two weeks now... w00t im at 18 units!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cool -- welcome to the team Freakyp
  • Cae
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Welcome Freakyp! its a pleasure to have ya onboard... :)

//and ATNO/TW the group stats dont update every 24 hours, im not sure what it is, it seems ot be every couple of days, but, hrm.. yeah...
  • Rabid Dog
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: South Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

musik wrote:
I am only on a dial up so my computer isn't ever connected when I am not using it, so that counts me out, good luck though!!

You don't need to be connected 24/7. The machine just downloads a 250K packet of data and then you can disconnect! I was worried about the same thing but thank heavens I found out you didn't have to be connected all the time.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

In case you missed it, SETI is transitioning to a new version. During the transition you can use either the old classic or the new one based on BOINC.

Here's the new home page:
http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/

And info about the transition:
http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/transition.php
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have joined :)
my p4 with the 1.5gb of ram eats these things up pretty fast lol
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Great nucleo. I think that brings us to 10 memebrs. :)
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

can you set it to use more cpu power?
at the moment mine is using 50%, when im not using the comp i would prefer to set it higher :roll:
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Which version are you using?
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

• JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

If it's the screensaver version, the only thing I can think to do is set the priority higher from within task manager. I don't think that will help too much. I wouldn't set it to real-time and setting processes to high can make your computer slow to respond.

Seti-driver used in conjunction with the command line version will give you the ability to process more than one unit at a time. You can process 2 units, both at 50%. That will effectively double your processing speed. You can leave the priorties set to idle or low and when you are away, more resources will be devoted to processing.

However, I'm not sure how much longer seti users will be able to use those programs. Apperently Seti@home is transitioning to that new version based on BOINC. I haven't checked it out yet. That's something I need to do.
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

i will leave it as it is then, thanks ;)
w00t
18.53% 37mins w00t! :D
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, I don't think it's worth the trouble to install that other version if you're not going to be able to use it for long.
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: places..

Post 3+ Months Ago

I hate this boinc, its doesnt look good like the old black one... takes more memory and more space >.< and IT WONT WORK >:O
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't think they have all the bugs worked out yet and I got the feeling there's not as many work units available for it yet. Currently I'm having problems getting my account number. Even though I obviously have an account the boinc account thing won't recognize my email address as being in the database. At the moment I'm still using the classic.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm a little confused at the moment. According to all my computers and browser versions, our OZZU group hasn't been updated since July 4th. I assume that's because of the transition to the new BOINC thing. However, I downloaded the new version, and tried to access my account number, but BOINC doesn't recognize my email addy to send me an account number. Does anyone have any idea what's going on here? I can't use the new version -number one because I don't have an account number, and number two, when the new proggie asks me what URL for the project, I can't seem to locate what URL they are talking about.
  • Cae
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

i like my old cmd line version, it works, and im not going to switch over to bionic until they make me.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think they're getting close -- please look into why they haven't updated our OZZU stats. I think it's because they've transitioned, but I'd still like to know why I can't retrieve an account number. I'm not recognized on BOINC at all and not certain what step to take next.
  • Cae
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

i just went and manually updated it, i have no idea why it isnt updateing by itself...

also, like i said before i dont use bionic, so i have no idea how to help you out there... ill d/l it tomarrow though and mess around with it...
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the updates. I'll keep working with things too. If I spot anything I'll let you know.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

so what exacly does this do for ozzu.com?
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd like to join the team...but SETI hasn't emailed me my password yet. Darn aliens! :-P

Has anyone tried the command line one for UNIX? It never even asked me for a password :-?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 74 posts