PC100-256 MB RAM for Compaq Armada M700 laptop not working.

• asbellad
  • Born
  • Born
  • asbellad

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi All,

I have this old horse, Compaq Armada M700 PIII- 500 Mhz laptop, having a 64 MB RAM. Thought I would put some more memory and I brought a PC-100 256 MB RAM (Vdata brand).
I installed it, the BIOS detected automatically and saved the changes. Unfortunately my WIN-NT does not start at all. When i checked in the 'Setup configuration' it shows me 320 MB RAM (64 + 256), which brings smile.....but Windows never starts, it keeps restarting and smile washed away :-(

When i removed the new RAM , everything works fine. Please can one help me with this problem. I am not sure if the RAM I brought is correct one or the BIOS has some problem or the WIN-NT has the problem.

Thanks in advance,
Anand
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Windows NT is picky. However incompatable or damaged ram would more likely stop the computer from POSTing. Did you take reasonable precautions against static before handing and installing the memory?

Can you be more specific on the type of ram you purchased? I.E.: So-Dimm? Latency, etc...
  • pramitroy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • pramitroy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you tried using only that 256mb RAM? There may be incompatibility for Win NT to use this combination with huge difference(64 and 256).
  • asbellad
  • Born
  • Born
  • asbellad

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

Thanks for the responses. It seems like it is not compatible, I contacted the Compaq support and they do not want to talk on the product which is of third party.
I have brought "Adata PC-100, 256 MB - SO Dim". I only brought this after checking on the internet. Unfortunately I did not use any precaution for static while installing. So I am not sure.. probable I will instal WIN 98 SE and see how it goes. As such the laptop can be upgraded upto 570 MB. Originally it has 64 MB non-detachable RAM.. so I can not remove the 64 MB and test with this new 256 RAM only.

I would like to know if any other possibilities before I go to the service centre. I do not want to spend lot of money on this old machine, as you know its not worth it.

Many Thanks,
Anand
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

It is probably a compatibility issue. I had an old Gateway desktop that came with 64MB of RAM. I bought a 128MB stick and slapped it in. The PC refused to work with both sticks in. But would work with only one stick.
  • lr16s
  • Born
  • Born
  • lr16s
  • Loc: France

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all,

I have the same pb : i tried to add 1 SODIMM PC133 256Mo RAM on my m700 1Ghz 64Mo.

The BIOS does recognize all the memory (64Mo + the new 256Mo + 64Mo enbeded on the motherboard).

But XP refuse to boot due to an error file system (xxx.sys). When i get off my new 256Mo RAM, everything is OK...

Any idea of the reason of this pb ?

ps : one more precision -> it does not work with only the 256Mo RAM
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

The system just can't handle that much memory I'm sure. The max you can probably do is the 64mb chips. At that point I would contemplate a new computer.
  • lr16s
  • Born
  • Born
  • lr16s
  • Loc: France

Post 3+ Months Ago

you're probably right, but it's really confusing as the doc i have concerning the m700 indicates that it should support 2*256Mo (+64Mo on the motherboard).

i found several users on various forum facing this pb, and i found no answer. Very strange!
  • cozykat
  • Born
  • Born
  • cozykat
  • Loc: Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

256 MB DDR SDRAM 144pin Non-ECC, PC100 / 100 MHz

There is this site selling ram: http://www.edgetechcorp.com/memory/upgr ... ?cid=25028
They write like they know something.
Not sure if its an issue with the memory or the PC but you might want to verify if the ram is unbuffered and the memory's voltage rating is correct for the model.
  • tomrulez
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: England!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

Go to http://www.crucial.com and use the memory adivser tool. It always works like a charm.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I love necroprosts. Does that make me a necropheliac?
  • Benda
  • Student
  • Student
  • Benda
  • Loc: Dobins recovery facility Atlanta GA. USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have had similar problems in the past, what happened was I had screwed over my motherboard, static electricity issues, not grounding my self out before working on my heatsink, had a problem that sounds almost exactly like yours, I got a new motherboard and everything was fine afterwards. But if your working with a budget that might not play out. The issues with the mother board was that it had damage in an area responsible for memory recognesation (thats what my brother said he is a geek squad guy) and there was no cheaper means of fixing it then just plain old replaceing the motherboard.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well the original post was about a laptop. I wouldn't suggest to anyone to replace a laptop mobo. I've done it out of sheer boredom and then ended up getting angry and took a halligan to it. Good thing it was old and way out of warranty.

But anything that takes a max of ~512mb isn't worth still using unless its some sort of embedded system or internet appliance. I won't even spec out a robot control computer with anything less than 1Gb. Most computers get 2Gb or more.

I tried to join the geek squad, never got hired. I must not know enough about computers or anything like that. :roll:
maybe it was the tattoos, 20/10 vision and 17" neck.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Geek Squad wouldn't hire me either. I don't think it is difficult to be over qualified for that position.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

They don't pay well either. At least not enough to dress like a tool and drive around in a volkswagon beetle. I mean, they couldn't find a better car? At least a Mini Cooper S. Maybe a Ford F-350 Diesel dually super cab with an 8 foot bed and push bars. <tim allen bark> propane injection... bigger turbo... chip... air bag suspension... 5" dual exhuast... .40 semi auto underneath the drivers seat... Now that's something I'd rather drive.<\tim allen bark>
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

We could start our own Geek Squad and drive cooler vehicles and dress like MIB.
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

would we get to charge the same amount as them?
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

HAHA. Yeah they are expensive. We would charge less and take away their business. And only go to houses of hot women and tell our wives that we went to houses of really fat ugly women. Yeah, that'll work...
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can get my wife to believe it.
  • DONKINGBOX
  • Born
  • Born
  • DONKINGBOX

Post 3+ Months Ago

asbellad wrote:
Hi All,

I have this old horse, Compaq Armada M700 PIII- 500 Mhz laptop, having a 64 MB RAM. Thought I would put some more memory and I brought a PC-100 256 MB RAM (Vdata brand).
I installed it, the BIOS detected automatically and saved the changes. Unfortunately my WIN-NT does not start at all. When i checked in the 'Setup configuration' it shows me 320 MB RAM (64 + 256), which brings smile.....but Windows never starts, it keeps restarting and smile washed away :-(

When i removed the new RAM , everything works fine. Please can one help me with this problem. I am not sure if the RAM I brought is correct one or the BIOS has some problem or the WIN-NT has the problem.

Thanks in advance,
Anand

I used two 128 PC100 chips to get it up to 396mb and it runs great I tried all combinations but the 64 + 128 + 128 works pretty much and all others don't.

Thats not a static problem...if you had static yoiu'd get blue screen or it wouldnt even begin to boot...Trust me we have static problems here out the wazoo..lost more chips than anyone you know...
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

This has to be the MOST necroposted post in all of Ozzu. Gadzooks... :roll:
  • Thayk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Durianburg, Philippines. Spent time in South Pole

Post 3+ Months Ago

hahaha, talking about reincarnation....the post has been buried for three years....pretty long for a hibernation....

anyways, welcome to ozzu donkingbox. its good for you to be here. keep posting...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 22 posts