24 pin atx, 20 pin psu

• rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Question, is it OK to plug a 20 pin ATX power connector into a 24 pin socket? Will it still work ok?

Thanks.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• pramitroy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • pramitroy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes it should work
http://www.ozzu.com/sutra287611.html#287611

EDIT: It will not work. It is a wrong information
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually, no. Plugging a 24 pin plug in a 20 pin socket works, but plugging a 20 pin plug into a 24 pin socket will leave you missing two 12v buses. You can buy an inexpensive adapter to convert 20 to 24 - http://www.stayonline.com/detail~ID~1004.html however make sure that your power supply is rated higher than your actual requirements so it can accommodate the extra load.
  • pramitroy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • pramitroy

Post 3+ Months Ago

As the topic name was 24 pin ATX I have mistaken it to be the PSU. Sorry, I should be more careful.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

The computer may or may not boot and function. I've seen AMD computers boot just fine, but then I've seen Intel computers not even post.

However, it is Highly recommended that you do get a 24-pin power supply.

/EDIT: Uhm, I can't spell for my fricken life and got sick at looking at the abomination that was my poor spelling.
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

thing is...a 24 pin PSU is $70 (AU), which is the same I was going to pay for the whole case...which INCLUDES a 400W ATX PSU, but that's only 20 pins :(

I'll see if i can get one of those adapters.

thanks.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

You should see a swift transition from the 20pin ATX to the 24pin very soon. However even on the most budgeted of computers I can't slack of the PSU. I made that mistake once and it cost me big time. Now I just fork up the dough for the mother of all PSU's.
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

heh...bad luck

for me, i got lucky with the generic psu in my current pc - its a 350W ATX, but the 12V rail is rated at 16A - whcih is apparently higher than on some 450W PSUs. Its been on pretty-much non-stop for the past two years without a problem.

But here in Australia I can't find those adapters anywhere, so it look like i'll have to get a proper 24pin psu. oh well.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Take a serious look at PC Power and Cooling. I bought Antec & Thermaltake PSU's for years. Then I got a PC P&C and holy cow it was like night & day between them. Seriously, its like the Antec was a Kia, the Thermaltake was a honda and the PC P & C was a McClaren F1.
  • theak
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Taipei, Taiwan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Prior to my recent purchase of a 24 pin PSU, my AMD system had been working fine on a 20 pin PSU. Give it a go, it may work, it may not.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts