please help

• Dr.SemSem
  • Born
  • Born
  • Dr.SemSem

Post 3+ Months Ago

iam have hard disk 80 G Maxtor

my problem that the hard loaded at setup but when u entr the windows u didn't found any patition and the winows system found new hard wear but no patiton appear

this problem i met it befor and a frind fix it with Dos order he said to me that it is viruse on first boot of the hard

but i haven't my friend that days, and didn't want to lose the data it is important to me

please if u can help me
  • bigcheeez
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bigcheeez

Post 3+ Months Ago

The unrecognizable hard drive may be formatted with an older file system, probably FAT32, while your pc is probably formatted using NTFS. You can use the convert command to convert the file system to NTFS if this is the problem.

Click start, run, and type cmd. Type convert /? and you will see the options for using this command.
  • Dr.SemSem
  • Born
  • Born
  • Dr.SemSem

Post 3+ Months Ago

when i said that there is no patition i mean when u connect it another pc, my friend's hard appear and mine no

but his system show that there is new hardware

please try to help me
  • tejasxp
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • tejasxp
  • Loc: Singapore

Post 3+ Months Ago

it could a corrupted partition table (maybe due to a virus, maybe not) on the hdd. get a disk management software like partition magic and see wt it shows abt ur disk.

if the partition table is indeed corrupted, there are softwares that can set it right (like ranish partition manager)

if that doesnt work then there are other softwares that can recover files from the drive (search google for recover files or smthng)
  • RUMcajZ
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: London, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

bigcheeez wrote:
The unrecognizable hard drive may be formatted with an older file system, probably FAT32, while your pc is probably formatted using NTFS.

how do you mean that 'your pc is probably formatted using NTFS' ?

i supose that he has win xp (he said windows). win xp can read both FAT and NTFS formated partitions.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dr.SemSem wrote:
when i said that there is no patition i mean when u connect it another pc, my friend's hard appear and mine no

but his system show that there is new hardware

please try to help me

- What version of Windows are you using?
    - If you are using XP, is it Home or Pro?
    - Is the drive SATA or IDE?
    - What version of Windows is your friend running?

Ideally, if you both are using NTFS formatted partitions on Windows XP Pro, try looking in Disk Management. Right Click on “My Computer” - > select “Manage” -> “Storage” -> “Disk Management”

- Does is show the physical hard disk drive in disk management?
    - What volumes from that drive does it detect?
    - Does it show any non-initialized partitions?

Try looking in the Event Viewer to see if any errors are coming up on the logs that could shed light on the problem. Go to ”Start” -> ”Run” -> then type “eventvwr.msc” without the quotes.
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

i had the same problem with my external maxtor hdd. i stored mostly all my backup on it, in the end i ended up formatting. i have also ready that it could be a curruption in the partition by disconnecting it while it was in use... etc. when you are on partition magic or disk management; does the partition show up as RAW?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts