*plum* OEM DVD-RW/CD-RW Drive No longer reading CD-R

• Doomsy
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Doomsy
  • Loc: Portland, OR

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just re-installed WindowsXP-SP3 on a Toshiba Satellite Laptop with a *plum* OEM DVD Rom drive ( uj-841s ). The drive itself is a MULTI-RECORDER Drive so it reads and writes and re-writes in cd and dvd and DL format. However I can only for some reason read Factory cd's. CD-R is not reading. I can burn cd-r but not read the disc afterwards on the laptop. Transfer the same cd to my desktop and it reads as it was burned so it does burn correctly. I can also read DVD format just fine. I only have issues with reading the CD-R format. I have searched and searched but can't find any new firmware upgrades to the DVD Drive ( currently running v1.5 ). Toshiba's Firmware update to 2.01 is for the TS-XX drives only and mine is a *plum* OEM??

Numerous results found when doing a GOOGLE search of this and it seems the drive is having issues with a lot of people however I have not found anyone with my exact same issues. All CD/DVD formats I have can blank media for can be successfully written to in the proper format. CD-R is however the only format that cannot be read from the drive even after it burns it successfully!

Just wondering if there is anything I could do other than what I have already tried.

Already Did:

1st Attempt - Format / Re-Install Windows XP SP3 ~ Windows XP HOME Edition OEM w/Valid Product Key
2nd Attempt - Format / Re-Install Windows XP SP1 upgrade to SP3 ~ Windows XP HOME Edition OEM w/Valid Product Key
3rd Attempt - Format / Re-Install Windows XP SP2 upgrade to SP3 ~ Windows XP HOME Edition OEM w/Valid Product Key ( Current Installation )

Microsoft KB Entry to remove UPPERPATH in HKEY_LOCALMACHINE ( Found the proper key but I do not have the upperpath/lowerpath values )

Removal of Hardware with system off and boot up then down and re-install hardware < To get the OS to register as new hardware >
Removal of Hardware with system off and boot up with different hardware for testing ( reads CD just fine ) Replace old CD Drive - again no read of CD after finding new hardware in XP Device Manager

Installation of CD testing programs via NERO Factory CD, Program determined READ FAIL on CD-R ( I do not have a CD+R/RW to try ) all other normal DVD-R or DVD-RW format read and write fine. Also tested with TOSHIBA Diagnostics Utility

Is it possible the Laser is just unable to read CD-R format anymore??? It used to work just fine?

Thanks for you time and consideration.

Doomsy
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Removal of Hardware with system off and boot up with different hardware for testing ( reads CD just fine ) Replace old CD Drive - again no read of CD after finding new hardware in XP Device Manager

I'm not sure what you mean there.

Are you saying that a new optical drive in the laptop read the disks just fine, and then placing the old drive back in afterwards left you in the non-working position you were in before trying the new hardware. Or do you mean that when you put a new optical drive in, you still could not read those disks with the new optical drive ?

If it works using a new optical drive, I think your optical drive is bad. I'm having a similar issue with a laptop drive right now except it's DVD disks that the drive doesn't want to read. All the research I've done says that failure to read one of any number of supported formats is a sign that the drive is on it's way out.
  • Doomsy
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Doomsy
  • Loc: Portland, OR

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
Quote:

I'm not sure what you mean there.

Are you saying that a new optical drive in the laptop read the disks just fine, and then placing the old drive back in afterwards left you in the non-working position you were in before trying the new hardware. Or do you mean that when you put a new optical drive in, you still could not read those disks with the new optical drive ?

If it works using a new optical drive, I think your optical drive is bad. I'm having a similar issue with a laptop drive right now except it's DVD disks that the drive doesn't want to read. All the research I've done says that failure to read one of any number of supported formats is a sign that the drive is on it's way out.

Ya basically if I place in a new drive it works as it should. Placing the old drive back in returns the problem. I suspected the drive all along however I just didn't think that it would just decide to not read a CD format as stated earlier I can read factory cd's just fine ( for instance if I put in a copy of my Windows98 cd it see's it and opens the splash page etc. ) when I use Nero to burn a cd using the same drive the files cannot be read after burning to the cd but if I take the cd to a different computer/drive then all is fine. I guess one can only assume it is the drive however just wanted clarification that it could just loose the ability to read a single cd format not all.
Moderator Remark: enabled bbcode
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Different functions of the drives utilize different sections of built in microprocessors and different capacitors/resisters/etc, even if they use the same laser eye.

One thing you could try is opening as much of the drive as you can, and hitting every nook and cranny you can get to with compressed air. The screws in the ones I've looked at are extremely tiny, if there are any screws at all. So it may not be very easy at all.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts