POP! BAD BURNING SMELL - :o(

• CIRCLEMAKER
  • CIRCLEMAKER
  • Loc: LONDON

Post 3+ Months Ago

turned on my pc last night there was a loud popping sound and a horrible acrid burning smell. took the cover off the side of it and the smell seems like it is coming from the part you put the kettle lead in. is this part likely to have blown and why did it do it, would it be likely to have affected any other bits, also is it easy to get a replacement and fit it. help and thanks
  • The_torst
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • The_torst
  • Loc: Denmark

Post 3+ Months Ago

"the part you put the kettle lead in": is that the power supply?

If the psu is gone, it's no big deal: buy a new one (they're quite cheap).
It could blow up for several reasons: like power cuts, lumpy electricity, dust, et.c. ...

I can't imagine that it would screw up the mobo, but I know someone to whom it happended; so it is possible. I'd start by buying and installing the new psu.
  • CIRCLEMAKER
  • CIRCLEMAKER

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah the kettle lead is the main power lead, i always leave the power switched on even if the pc is not actually powered up, could that be a problem at all? just dont want it happening again. cheers though
  • tejasxp
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • tejasxp
  • Loc: Singapore

Post 3+ Months Ago

if u have connected the pc directy to the wall socket maybe there was a current surge or smthng. u may want to get a ups/surge protector to protect ur pc
  • The_torst
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • The_torst
  • Loc: Denmark

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah, it could be a probelm. I do the same thing, but one should really unplug it.

But it sounds like dust or fluid made the thing shortcut (it happened when you turned it on), is it an old comp? Do you have carpets, and is there any chance that something might have gotten into the machine? You could take off the cover and see if there is a lot of dust or anything like that.
  • CIRCLEMAKER
  • CIRCLEMAKER

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah i have it on a carpet, it was a bit dusty inside but not really dusty. its about 3 years old. i'll try getting a new psu and a serge protector. any one reccommend a psu i got 2 internal hard drives a dvd burner, cd burner and video/graphics card, not sure if that means i need a certain type which accomodates all that. my budget is about £70 tops. thanks for all your help
  • tejasxp
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • tejasxp
  • Loc: Singapore

Post 3+ Months Ago

anything thats rated above 350 watts should be fine
  • CIRCLEMAKER
  • CIRCLEMAKER

Post 3+ Months Ago

i saw a review of one and it said something about only having 4 molex connectors. not really sure what they are talking about but should i be looking to get more than that?
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

A while ago when I was just learning electronics, this guy told me that when you became good enough is when you could identify what blew-up just by the smell. It's kind of funny, but its true.

Best bet is to get a UPS with "Active PFC". Get a new PSU, and somewhere around the 350 - 400 range is perfect and make sure that has Active PFC as well. I usually only get Antec or Thermaltake PSU's, but I heard Enermax isn't bad (I wont use them, but thats what I heard).

I got an Antec 350 Active PFC PSU at Best Buy for like $50. And the BB is usually a rip-off. Except on Monster speaker cable, 100' roll was cheaper than even the internet places.
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

ive seen those....i wanted to buy some just because they were so cheap
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

im about to get an enermax noisetaker.. they have excellent reviews. they have fan controllers and everything. you may want to consider them also :)... GT500Shlby. i will talk you into them -_-
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I looked at them. Untill I see some Oscilliscope graphs I'll pass on them.
  • Bgnn32
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Bgnn32
  • Loc: Western Mass

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use Antec stuff in all the customer PC's I build, I have built about 60 PC's over the last 3 years and only had 1 power supply failure.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

The absolute standard top tier in power supplies are PC Power and Cooling but they are at least 50% more expensive than even the most expensive competing PSU's.
  • lhuser
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Antec build are the best
  • Shadow Knight
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Soy Cubano, no puedo ser diferent!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

CIRCLEMAKER
Quote:
i saw a review of one and it said something about only having 4 molex connectors. not really sure what they are talking about but should i be looking to get more than that?

circlemaker a molex connector its what powers the hard drive(s) and other drives, you should not worry about it, because (correct me if Im wrong) this is a standard connector, there is not a molex connector higher than 4. What you should worry about is about the type of motherboard you have, since there are 2 types of motherboards ( AT style and ATX style) they both use different connectors, AT uses P8 and P9 conectors (each has a number of 6 wires), while ATX style uses a single rectagular connector that containg 20 wires.hope it helps
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

OMFG! same thing just happened to my main computer, i think i blew my PSU... thank god i never use that one. it was a 450w.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

blink182av wrote:
OMFG! same thing just happened to my main computer, i think i blew my PSU... thank god i never use that one. it was a 450w.

If you never use it, then how is it your main computer?

I list my boxen as Primary, Secondary and Tertiary.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 18 posts