Port forwarding on a linksys wrt54g firmware 3.0

• mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have looked up how to do port forwarding on port 80 and keep coming up with a newest firmware upday 4.0 and I am running on firmware 3.0 on a linksys wrt54g router. the tutorials are not fowllowing what my router is saying is there a way I can update my firmware?

does anybody know how to set a port forward on a linksys wrt54g router using firmware 3.0?
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's been a while since I used a linksys router, but if memory serves correct there should be an option at the top that says "Port Forwarding".

You have an input port, destination port and destination ip. Now some internet companies block port 80 to stop people from running webservers. So you can put the input port to 80 or 8080 (if your provider blocks 80) and you can set the destination port to 80 and then put the IP of the computer thats running the server.

Unfortunately, Linksys doesn't have a firmware emulator so I can double check and be more specific.

I actually plan on getting the WRT54GS for my sister's house.
  • mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

I see where you are talking about and that is for remote access to the router itself not to my server.

Quote:
there should be an option at the top that says "Port Forwarding".

not on this router does it say port forwarding that is the same problem that I am having. all of the tutorials have the firmware of verion 4.0 and I have 3.0 and it does not give you that option at the top for port forwarding.

mtg
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's very odd indeed. I would suggest updating ti to the latest firmware then. You cold have some sort of beta firmware that didn't include that little feature.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Go here http://www.linksysinfo.org/modules.php? ... ostPopular to download the firmware.
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have seen routers where it is called "Virtual Servers" as well.
  • mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay guys I have found the prot forwarding on my router but the tutorials do not look like what I have and I have more stuff to fill out than what they have so I have taken a screen shot of my router for you guy to try to help me figure this out

okay the tutorial that I have read you just put in the port it has one slot and the a place for the IP address.

mtg
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Under Application put what the port will be used for like "Web Server" Start port would be 80 and end port would be 80. Leave protocol alone unless you only want to allow TCP or UDP. Under IP Address run an ipconfig and fill in the last octet. Check enable. Click the apply button if there is one and you should be set.
  • mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

thank you I will try it when I get home tonight from school.

mtg
  • mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay guys part of my problem will be solved in the morning when TWC programs my static IP woohoo I cant wait to have server up and running and now 24 hour tech support.

Do you guys have an Idea to look down server for security?

mtg
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

It all depends on what you are running your server as and how much you want to lock it down.

If it is a web server and you are going to run IIS, it will run the IIS lockdown tool automatically. You can do all sorts of things like run IPSec or certificates to authenticate users to your website.
  • mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

no I am running apache instead of IIS. okay how do I run

Quote:
IPSec or certificates to authenticate users to your website.
on apache server? is it something that I would have to imput myself or could I find them already done on the web?

what about a log in script? where I could access it using PHP and store them in a database inside my computer?

mtg
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is beyond my knowledge. I've played with Apache but as far as using IPSec or Certificates with it, I have no idea. I'm a certified Microsoft Guy, they don't teach Apache unfortunately.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just set the right permissions with Apache on the directories you want to lock down. On Windows I would create a special service account just for apache, and then only allow that account to read-only on certain directories and read/write to the log directories.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

That would be the easier way to deal with it instead of messing with certificates or IPsec (if you don't know what your doing you can mess some stuff up).

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts