Portable Floppy Drive

• seekermeister
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have never used one of these before, I always had an internal floppy. But because of some reorganizing of hardware, I ordered one. It just arrived, so I plugged it in. The OS had no problem recognizing it, and it appears in the Device Manager, and as drive A in the file manager, but when I insert a floppy, nothing happens. What I mean, is that there is no activity from the drive and the light on the front remains unlit. Also when I select the drive in the file manager, nothing appears as far as files on the floppy. There is a driver CD, but the manual says that it is only for W98...XP is supposed to be plug and play. My conclusion is that the drive is defective, but never having to deal with one of these before, I felt that I should ask if I'm missing anything?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are you sure that there are files on the floppy that you inserted? To check open a command promt
A:
press enter. you should get a:> prompt. Then type
dir
press enter.
  • seekermeister
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

That really odd, because after using your method, it started working in the file manager also. But, that may have also been due to the fact that I just had another BSOD, and the BIOS displayed the drive also. Maybe there was just something missing. At least I don't have to return it.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just to clarify something: By file manager, do you mean My Computer? File Manager was in Windows 3.1.
  • seekermeister
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

No, actually I use Power Desk, and when forced to, Windows Explorer.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts