Possible to mask use of a router?

• ssjreb
  • Born
  • Born
  • ssjreb

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am currently connected to my university's network and was wondering if there was anyway to mask my using a router from them. I use it simply because I don't want to have to unplug my connection from my computer to my xbox every time I want to play xbox live. The college frowns upon my using it for some reason or another, they won't tell me why. Just curious if its possible and if it is... how?

Thank you.
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can you not just use a switch? I don't see any reason why the university wouldn't give you 2 IPs...
  • ilyawizard
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ilyawizard

Post 3+ Months Ago

As I understand u need a username and password to access ur university's network. And as long as u use ur username they know it's u, I think there is no way, unless u hack into router.
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh there are ways, it's just that using a switch or hub is a lot easier. Further, if it is in their use policy to not allow private routers, then this thread is asking for a way to bypass the security measures of the university, which is a no-no.
  • Bgnn32
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Bgnn32
  • Loc: Western Mass

Post 3+ Months Ago

put two NIC's in the computer and then set up internet connection sharing. Basicly the computer would act as a router, but the school would not know that another system is connected to your computer and using that connection.
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

That depends. Where I work, if there is more than one MAC address's traffic on one port, port security will completely shut it down. But yea, I doubt it in this situation.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts