Possible NIC or Wireless Router Issue

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is a strange one and haven't really had the time to diagnose and troubleshoot but thought I would run it by you all.

A few times a day my internet connection just quits. At first I was putting the blame on Comcast. They came out to my house and said I had a weak signal. The did some work to the lines and replaced my 3 year old modem. All was fine. Then I moved and started experiencing the same issue. Once again, I blamed Comcast. I had them come out to run lines to a couple of rooms. While the tech was there I asked him about my connection. It just so happened that my connection dropped while he was there. But all the lights on the modem were on indicating a signal was getting to the modem. My fix for this has been to reboot the PC.

Recently, I have become to suspect the wireless router. It too is a little over 3 years old and is made by Microsoft (MN500 wireless base station). So what I have done now to remedy my connection is to right click my LAN connection icon and selecting repair. After the repair is complete my connection is fine and the wireless network is fixed.

This is what I have done to my system. My desktop run Windows 2003 Server and is set up as a domain controller, DNS and DHCP server. I turned off DHCP in the router and assigned it a static IP. The DNS portion of my desktop handles DNS resolution for my home network and forwards all other DNS resolution requests to Comcasts DNS server. My "server" is directly wired to the router and everyone else is wirelessly connected and receives IP's from my DHCP server.

I have no idea if this info is relevant but I figured I would give all the info possible. Now my question is this:

Is it my NIC going bad or is it time to replace the wireless router?

Thank you for reading my lengthy post :D
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hard to say for certain. I had this exact issue and indeed it did turn out to be the router. Easiest way to test if you can is hardwire your PC direct to modem and see if you lose connection. That will help you confirm if it's your nic or not.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmmm, exact issue and it was the router.

I want to replace the router anyway. It is 3 years old and I think Microsoft got out of the wireless market. The router has been a good and faithful one despite being Microsoft. But it is Wireless-B and I would like to go N but who knows when the standard will be finalized. I hope it is the router, I can convince the wife to let me spend money easier that way.
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

My router will do the same thing occasionally. Renewing the IP lease is what fixes it, so I wrote this little workaround script and leave it running on my headless server.

First, it pings an invalid address with a timeout of 300000ms (5 mins.) This is just a quick and dirty timer to make it wait 5 mins before it repeats the script. After that, it pings Google once. If it gets a reply it starts over again, if it doesn't, it releases and renews the IP lease. Sits quietly minimized and works great!

@echo off
:start
ping 1.1.1.1 -w 300000 >nul
ping http://www.google.com -n 1 ¦ find "TTL=" >nul
if not errorlevel 1 goto start
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
goto start
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

n failed its finalization but you can get a lot of pre-n products with the same draft specifications as true n products would have

routers:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... &maxPrice=

adapters:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... &maxPrice=

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts