Power (PSU) or maybe not

• XPert
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,

I have recently purchased a Dell Optiplex GX280

I have added a sony dvd writer in it that I had in my old Dell Dimension 8200. The only problem is when I try to burn a dvd my mouse goes really slow and i get strange things happening like my modem goes off etc. Do you think I have a problem with my PSU?

thanks,
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• bigcheeez
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bigcheeez

Post 3+ Months Ago

I doubt this is your psu. What os and version are you running? Does this happen when you simply read a cd, or just when you burn a dvd? Did you have any problems in the pc that you took the dvd burner out of?
What program are you using to burn dvds?

Make sure you have an updated driver from Sony's website for the drive.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

A bigcheeez has stated, it is highly doubtful the problem lies with your PSU.

The most probable reason is that your resources are low & CPU usage is high whilst you are burning to the DVD/CD meaning there isn't alot of room left for your PC to do much else.

What spec is your PC ?
  • XPert
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

The PC spec is as follows

3Ghz pentium 4 processor with HT enabled
2GB DDR2 RAM
1 x 250GB SATA HD
1 x 80 GB SATA HD
1 x cd/dvd reader
1 x sony dru-500a dvd writer
1 x 64mb sound card
1 x firewire card
PSU power supply is 250W

any ideas?
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Wiltshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Get a new PSU now, you should at least be using a 350 Watt PSU. Make sure you buy a decent PSU as well, not a budget one. I reccomend Tagan and OCZ Powerstream PSU's.
  • Xel02
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Xel02

Post 3+ Months Ago

Like he said, I was looking through your specs and was thinking what a great machine and hten saw the PSU.

Although that may cause your problems, it's a bit odd. You said your modem goes off, which modem would this be? I didn't see any modem in your specs, so are you referring to the 'modem' of your aDSL or Cable line?

With specs like those it's odd that your machine is lagging like that. I would check how much free space you have on your HD. When your burning a DVD, I believe the usual process is to create most of the image on the HD before burning it. If your HD is filled, it may cause your disk to thrash.

Oh and check your running processes, but again with 2Gb of DDR2 Ram....thats bizarre.

Good luck.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Go to :

http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

Use the online calculator to work out the minimum Watt PSU you require for your PC configuration.

After looking at your spec it seems odd that your PC should lag during this process when you have 2Gb or RAM, and a combined total of 330Gb HDD capacity.

As has been suggested, whilst you are burning, open Task Manager [Ctrl+Alt+Del], go to the processes tab and see which processes are taking up the most CPU usage.
  • XPert
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,

thanks everyone for your replys.

According to Dell there are only 2 power supply's for the gx280 a 250w and a 305w. No other power supplys will fit the machine as they have to be dell to fit the case and connect to the mother board.

I have changed the psu with another GX280 and everything is working ok at the moment. I just worry that something else may go wrong if the PSU has to much strain...

Maybe i'll build my own the next time :x
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

My work computer happens to be a GX270 - same case as yours. It looks to me that it has a normal ATX power supply in it. I think Dell was just trying to get some extra money out of you. Any standard ATX power supply from Newegg, Tiger Direct, etc will work fine.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts