Power Source

• Kap-Vu
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Indianapolis, IN

Post 3+ Months Ago

I always wondered this, but what would happen if you used a too weak of a power source or a too high of power source for your computer? Would the high end power source (650W) do nothing more but supply more power and the weaker one (300W) just not supply enough causing your computer to not turn on?

Just curious.
  • keuller
  • keuller
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

either freeze up or crash once you hit the limit.

I had that problem. i was running a 300 watt power source to my radeon 9800xt which ate up more than that. so whenever i tried to do anything graphics intensive i froze up.

new power source fixed me right up.
  • Kap-Vu
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Indianapolis, IN

Post 3+ Months Ago

when building a computer...how do you know how big the power source needs to be?
  • TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

If your power supply isn't powerful enough for your components your computer will either freeze or self-destruct (yes, this can happen which is why it's always a bad idea to buy cheap generic power supplies).
It's impossible to have a power supply that is too powerful (the ratings on power supplies indicate how much power they CAN use, not how much they do use). For example, a 500W and a 600W PSU powering a computer that uses only 400W of power will only supply the computer with 400W of power.

To figure out how much power you need, try a tool like this: http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

For most PCs, 400W from a reputable vendor is plenty and leaves you some headroom to add more hardware.
  • ScienceOfSpock
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Las Vegas

Post 3+ Months Ago

There is no such thing as TOO MUCH power for a computer. If your computer only needs a 400 watt power supply, putting a 550 or 600 watt isn't going to hurt it at all. It just means you have more power for expansion :)

For recommendations, I would suggest Allied Power. I have been building PC's since 95 and they are the best I have found. I had a fan go out on an allied in my file server a few months ago. Have no idea how long the fan was out, I only discovered it because I was checking the dust bunnies. It could have been out a few days or a few weeks, I have no idea, but the power supply kept on chugging. I shut it down, replaced the fan and I'm still using it.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts