Power Supply always on

• ilyawizard
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ilyawizard

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello everyone. I just bought basically a new system (new mobo, cpu, ram, and power supply). When I connect everything power supply suddenly starts to work and doesn't turn off, without even clicking a power button. I even switched the power supplies and still does the same thing. When I disconnect power supply from mobo and just plug the power cable it's silent. As soon as I plug it into mobo and insert a power cable it starts working. Anyone has an idea of whats going on? Thanks.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

It sounds like the power switch is either wired wrong or bad.
  • ilyawizard
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ilyawizard

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've tried about 5 different power supplies, and 3 different motherboards (the first motherboard went bad, that's why I bought a new system). It couldn't be a coinsidence that all power supplies are bad. Is there any virus that does something like that? Cause I'm getting crazy already.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

No, not virus. It is probably what Don said... the switch is wired incorrectly... or is wired so it is always on... which IS incorrectly... Open the computer case and look at the switch and how it is wired although I don't think it may be a great idea to meddle with it too much :lol: bring it somewhere for repair unless you know what you are doing.
  • ilyawizard
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ilyawizard

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, then. Here's another question. When my previous computer stopped working (I thought it was bad motherboard) I put the old hard drive in my new setup. Could there be anything on hard drive messing it up? It seems to me that motherboard constantly sending signal to turn power supply on. Could that be a case? I just want to eliminate all possible things.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

The motherboard can't send current to the power supply if it isn't there and it's not supposed to be there before you push the button on the front of the PC. In your case, you don't have to push the button which means either the switch is ON all the time or the wires aren't connected properly. You're confused because you see the power cable going into the power supply, not realizing that the switch in the front of the PC makes and breaks the circuit.

Disconnect the switch in the front and see what happens.

Installing the HD from another PC has nothing to do with that. It might cause some driver problems but that's all.

No virus would cause that either.
  • ilyawizard
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ilyawizard

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here's my last idea on this topic.

* My old comp had a power surge of some kind, and messed up power supply, which at the same time messed up my old motherboard.

* When I connected the old power supply to my new setup it messed up my new motherboard.

* Now when I connect new power supply to my new setup motherboard sends constant signals to turn on power supply.

Could that be a case?

Thanks for all the help.
  • ilyawizard
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ilyawizard

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
The motherboard can't send current to the power supply if it isn't there and it's not supposed to be there before you push the button on the front of the PC. In your case, you don't have to push the button which means either the switch is ON all the time or the wires aren't connected properly. You're confused because you see the power cable going into the power supply, not realizing that the switch in the front of the PC makes and breaks the circuit.

Disconnect the switch in the front and see what happens.

Installing the HD from another PC has nothing to do with that. It might cause some driver problems but that's all.

No virus would cause that either.

Already tried disconnecting the switch, and still the same thing.

However I also tried to plug the power cord without even hooking up power supply to motherboard, and power supply wouldn't power on.

But, as soon as I plug 24-pin and 4-pin cables to motherboard, and plug the power cord it starts working right away.
  • ynyfrik
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • ynyfrik
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

I hope you're not hot swapping anything.

What are the case, motherboard, and power supply models.
  • deathblade
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: u.k

Post 3+ Months Ago

mine did this for a while and it was me not wiring it right
  • ilyawizard
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ilyawizard

Post 3+ Months Ago

No, no hot swapping.

GIGABYTE GA-M61P-S3 AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Windsor 2.0GHz Socket AM2 89W Processor
Kingston 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300)

That's what I bought off newegg. Not sure what the power supply is (bought a new one from staples) and case (used my old one). I'm not home right now. What's case have to do with all of that?
  • ilyawizard
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ilyawizard

Post 3+ Months Ago

deathblade wrote:
mine did this for a while and it was me not wiring it right

What do you mean not wiring it right? May be I'm just missing something really small.
  • ynyfrik
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • ynyfrik

Post 3+ Months Ago

ilyawizard wrote:
What's case have to do with all of that?

Isn't the power button on your case?

Where do the power button wires plug into? Into your power supply or motherboard?

It's possible that you messed up the pins that the power button plugs into on the motherboard.
  • ilyawizard
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ilyawizard

Post 3+ Months Ago

With the old power supply power wires were pluged into motherboard. When I got the new one from Staples i didn't even try to plug the power button wires.
  • ynyfrik
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • ynyfrik

Post 3+ Months Ago

Please read page 22 number 9 of the mother board manual; It shows the correct wire layout.
You can download it here:
http://america.giga-byte.com/FileList/M ... p-s3_e.pdf

I don't understand what you said. The power button which is located on the front of your computer case has two wires coming from it which have to be plugged into the correct pins on the motherboard.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

If the power supply is getting juice all the time, no matter how many times you press the button but stops getting juice if it's disconnected from the motherboard, then the switch is bad.
  • ilyawizard
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ilyawizard

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's not the switch. I've checked two power supplies on the new motherboard, and both times they turned on by itself. Then I've checked the same two power supplies on good motherboard (took that chance cause was eager to find out) and it worked fine. So it is motherboard, but not sure why it's doing it. And power button has nothing to do with it.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe I wasn't clear in my description so let me try it again. I made the mistake of using the term switch to mean the power button. So, from now on, I'll call it the power button. There is only one way to eliminate it as the cause, is to connect everything and while it's running press the button and hold it for 5 seconds. The PC should stop. If it doesn't stop, disconnect it from the mother board completely and see what happens. If the PC stops running the button is bad.

That's the only way to tell if the power button is bad or not. There is no other way.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
Maybe I wasn't clear in my description so let me try it again. I made the mistake of using the term switch to mean the power button. So, from now on, I'll call it the power button. There is only one way to eliminate it as the cause, is to connect everything and while it's running press the button and hold it for 5 seconds. The PC should stop. If it doesn't stop, disconnect it from the mother board completely and see what happens. If the PC stops running the button is bad.

That's the only way to tell if the power button is bad or not. There is no other way.

I second that...
  • ilyawizard
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ilyawizard

Post 3+ Months Ago

I already RMA'd the motherboard. The new one solved the problem, works flawlessly now.

Thanks for help everyone, but it wasn't neither the power button or the power supply.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 20 posts