Power Supply - Enough Supply?

• sintax321
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Any Where but here

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey I have a ATX-50a 250w power supply, and i'm upgrading some parts. This PC is about 4-5 years old.

Currently the PC has a:
DVD-ROM
CD RW-ROM
20 GB HD
Pentium III 797 mhz
256MB PC-133 RAM
ATI Rage 128MB video card
A drive
ethernet card ( The basics)

I want to add a 80GB 7200rpm 8MB Cache HD to the system as well. I was wondering if that power supply would power another hard drive or if I also need to upgrade the power supply as well? If so what would be a good power supply at a cheap price point?

If i need to provide any other information to answer this question I will do my best. I know a bit about hard ware but i'm not expert. Hoping one of you might be ;)

Thanks guys
  • Mav06
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Mav06

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey
i think you should get another psu even if you do nto get another HDD. i would think your under powered but i am not to sure. i have a 580 watt and works great so i think you sould but thats just me.

this is the one i got

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 018&depa=0

hope this helps
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Go to :

http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

Use the online calculator to find out the minimum Watt PSU your PC will require to run that setup.
  • sintax321
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the tips so far guys.

Ya it would be nice to just replace the computer but it isn't mine. I'm just putting this in for a buddy of mine who doesn't do to much on the computer so he just wants to upgrade for as cheap as possible. If he has to replace any more parts he might as well though lol but it is hard to get some ppl to listen ;)

Any other comments would be great as well :)
  • sintax321
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow that power supply caculator works great. Added that one to the favorites right away ;) I put in the specs for this computer and it seemd to come in at aroud 211w-238w for the power supply so if this thing is correct i should be set.

Thanks again.
  • TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Remember that some cheaper drives advetise their peak power rating. That means that 250W may be the absolute most that the power supply can run under ideal circumstances.
  • theak
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Taipei, Taiwan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don't try and save money on your PSU, they are not all created equal. I'd recommend doing some research and going with a brand that you can trust.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts