powercord on laptop failure

• fluffho
  • Born
  • Born
  • fluffho

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi

new here. anyway, just a rundown. im horrible with computers. but my boyfriend knows computers and according to him, mine is junk. i believe him

i have a compaq presario 700 laptop. the prob right now is the powercord. the original powercord, i nkow what happened was that the cord right where you plugged it into the computer, got bent too far. didnt take care of it too well, so finally it just quit.

bought another online - $30. straight from the Co woulda been $70 but i foudn this one. not exactly the same as the compaq, but it works. has been for several months now

well now its acting up. it really bothers me, not only will i have to spend $30 but most likely that new one will break again, not to mention it took like 2 weeks to finally arrive.

anyway, if i kind of push it to the side a bit, itll work. i try not to push too hard, but jiggle it a bit. also, sometimes itll only plug to work, sometimes itll plug fully to charge the battery.

right now i jiggled it perfectly to where its working and not popping out.

when my car keys battery went out, my brother told me 'i can rig up a battery to it' and well im about to have him look at this.

im so frustrated!!!

thanks in advance, even though this is kind of a weird one and most likely ur responses will be 'get a new one' lol

*sigh*
Kristin
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• fluffho
  • Born
  • Born
  • fluffho

Post 3+ Months Ago

argh.

im just gona bring this stupid thing into .. some computer store. have them look at it

I HATE YOU COMPUTER!! :evil:
  • bigcheeez
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bigcheeez

Post 3+ Months Ago

I bet the plug on your laptop is the part that is bad. I may need some internal work - I bet you're better off just buying a new one.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

sounds like you have a short in it. You are going to have to buy a new one, and in the future be careful about bending your cord. Excessive bending will create the short.

I would try to find a cord from a 3rd party company, because like your boyfriend said, the parts for your computer are probably crap.
  • Cae
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

i had somehting like that happen to an IBM laptop i had... the actual connector on the power card broke off (so a-hole went and decided to be cute and yank the power cord out as hard as he could)... i went and took it apart, and sodered it back on, and that fixed it... but now im having more problems with it :(
  • Dsgenna
  • Born
  • Born
  • Dsgenna

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey i had the same thing happen to my compaq laptop but i can't re sodder mine in cause the pins broke off in the mother board. i can get thewm out but the part u plug the power cord in to is shot . Does anyone know where i can replace that peice and what it is called
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

The best thing I can suggest is to be more careful and put a strain relif boot on the cord to keep it from bending.

Dsgenna, how many pins does the connector have?
  • Dsgenna
  • Born
  • Born
  • Dsgenna

Post 3+ Months Ago

it has 3 pins 1 on the bottoem and one on each side the ones on the side broke off in the mother board. i was gonna see if there is a way to hard wire the powercord straight to the mother board if i can't order the peice.
  • jfvb1225
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Ohio

Post 3+ Months Ago

You'll end up replacing the motherboard if the charge socket broke off the circuit board IMHO. Most likely it took some of the board insulator material with it and you wont be able to solder a short-proof connection. Circuit boards are repairable, but a new m/b will probably cost much less.
  • Bgnn32
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Bgnn32
  • Loc: Western Mass

Post 3+ Months Ago

bigcheeez wrote:
I bet the plug on your laptop is the part that is bad. I may need some internal work - I bet you're better off just buying a new one.

Seeing as this is the second plug you have had a problem with I would agree the problem is internal on the laptop

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts