Pre 802.11n products already out

• GSlinger
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Ohio

Post 3+ Months Ago

Many companies already have out Pre .11n products! .11n is not expected to be ratified untill late 2005. they arent even certain about the protocols that will be used yet. so no company can garauntee that their product will be compatible with actual .11n
i know many companies released products before .11g, but it was only weeks before hand. the technology was pretty much certain with .11g. i believe most of the products were compatible too.

can anyone tell me why they would do this?? is there some strategy that i am not seeing?
and Belkins pre-n technology doesnt even reach the expected bandwidth either. the expected bandwidth is from 200-600 mbps and belkins product reaches around 40 mbps. why would they release technology that should be considered inferior to what .11n will be?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I suppose it could be equated to high definition TV here in the US. When it became obvious that the FCC was going to force a conversion to hi-def, I remember all the TV manufacturers were like in a battle to get their version of the technology, even though there was no set-in-stone standards. I suppose from a competative standpoint, the company that gets the patents on the approved technology gets the riches.

From a personal view, .11n isn't something I've even read about, and will probably be some time before I even pay much attention to it. I'm all for change and improvements, but we just installed a whole wireless network here on .11g and it's working just fine. I don't feel any pressing need for improving it for several years to come.
  • GSlinger
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

i understand your point. but TV's compatability is not as much of a problem. i also think that the true market for .11g has not been realized yet. why release a technology to compete with such a young one? its gonna be the .11a vs. .11b conflict all over again. but .11g and .11n will be compatabile.
im just wondering why Belkin and other companies would release their devices so early. their products cant even realize the true potential of .11n.

there are plans for .11n to reach up to 600 mbps. the current products are only gettin around 40-60.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's quite possible you already caught this October 25 article:
http://wifinetnews.com/archives/cat_80211n.html

It pretty much describes your argument. However this small excerpt pretty much answers your question of why. In the end it all comes down to money, which is the comparison I was attempting to make with hi-def:

Quote:
He suggests that the companies that haven't yet released higher-speed products might be the ones saying that the 802.11n moniker is misleading. "It's clear that consumers are willing to pay for higher reliability and the ability to connect to Wi-Fi throughout their house. That's what this offers that other Wi-Fi doesn't. That's tough to compete with and has a lot of people stirred up," he said.

See the links in the article for additional reading.
  • GSlinger
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

oh ok
  • Bgnn32
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Bgnn32
  • Loc: Western Mass

Post 3+ Months Ago

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ that is all that it is. Belkin knows there are enough computer geeks out there who will want the latest and greatest just to say they have, so they release this stuff and those geeks grab it up.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts