Problem connecting to Router

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm trying to help a family member over the phone to sort out an issue with the internet they are having. The router they use is used to connect to several other computers and the internet. Usually when the internet is down there is either an issue with the provider or the router is playing up, unfortunately all the usual steps that i would take have not been as successful.

Because i have no physical access to the computer or router i cannot seem to see what the real issues are, however i will do my best to explain the problem and if anyone can reply at the soonest possible moment i'd absolutely appreciate it.

Normally when the router is down i'd type in the IP address for the router and it should appear on the screen with the request for username and password. At the moment the router IP address is faulty and doing a ping in the "cmd" is showing the 4 sent packets as missing. The router has been unplugged and replugged, everything is as it would be now yet there is still nothing. There was an issue with the line initially which has been repaired by the provider, but since then there has been nothing.

Has anyone got any suggestions on what could be the cause of the problem? any other ideas on what i could do to fix the issue?
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

What brand is the router? My parents had a Belkin just up and die on them, so that could be a possibility (although unlikely).

Have you had them try resetting the router? There should be a small button or pinhole that you hold for about 10 seconds that completely resets the entire router.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, gone through that procedure. It is like the router has died, but it's been like this before and worked again. This seems to be the worst though so i do wonder if it has just died.

If i could just temporarily get it fixed that would be a bonus. I'm driving up to where the router is on Wed morning so i could have a better look then, or install a new router.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks Spork.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Like you said, it's really hard to solve these kinds of things without physical access to the router itself.

One thing you might want to try (or have them try): unplug all devices (including WAN) from the router and reset it. Then, attach one computer by ethernet and try to access the administration page. We've had problems a while back with the router we were using at our apartment and it turned out that the DHCP server was just royally screwed up, so that whenever we attached more than two devices the whole thing just died.

If you can't access the admin page with a single device connected after a reset, it might be time to call up the manufacturer if it's still under warranty.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

:lol:

I'd be surprised if it was under warranty. This thing is probably touching on 5 years old now, so i think it's just had it's day. In saying that, as much as i'd like to take your next suggestion, i'll pass. I doubt they'd know what to do, so i'll leave it and hope that something else is sorted. I'll suggest to them to get a new router, but don't imagine it to be a kindly received option.

Thanks anyway. Mucho appreciated.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

No prob. If you do end up deciding on a new router, I'd personally recommend Linksys. Belkin is just crap as I mentioned and I've gone through three Netgear routers in four years.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

You beat me to that. I was gonna ask if you had a recommended router. I've not had many problems with Belkin, and i'm not 100% sure if this router is a belkin. I'll take your advice if it comes to looking for another router.

Thanks.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts