PROBLEM - Routers That get disconnected

• Lagg-Alot
  • Born
  • Born
  • Lagg-Alot

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello.

I use Road Runner Cable in NYC and a router.

If I plug the Ethernet cable from the modem directly to my PC I have no disconnect problems.

But if I use my Linksys BEFSX41 Router I get disconnected from internet about every 5 - 10 minutes. I reset the IP Address in the router setting page and all is fine for another 10 minutes. So I bought a brand new Motorola BR700 Router and it has the same exact problem. Yes I have downloaded and installed the latest firmware for the equipment and called their tech support (both Linksys and Motorola blame the cable company as one would expect).

So I have had the cable company here a half a dozen times and they assure me all the lines are in order. They even had a man especially check the box on the pole and he rang my bell and told me that there is nothing wrong with the cable signal in my area. He went on to ask if I was having this disconnect problem when using a router and I was honest and told him yes. He said he has the same problem with his Belkin router at home and I should learn to live with it (resetting the router every few minutes) or stop using a router altogether.

I did a google search for a general "router keeps disconnecting" and wouldn't you know it but a lot of people are having the same problem as me, using all different brands of routers and from all different ISP's. Oh I am sure some of them just have their router settings wrong but all 17,000 google results?

I was just wondering is there something wrong with the internet that the Router companies are not aware of, or is it the Cable companies know that you are using a router and just want to make your life miserable?

Please someone help me shed some light on this problem as I have been suffering about a year now and I feel that buying another router is not going to help me.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does your router have the ability to change it's MAC address? If so, try setting it to the MAC address of a LAN card. Some ISPs filter the MACs of routers.
  • roarmeow
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: BKNY

Post 3+ Months Ago

i'm pretty sure it's not the cable company giving you a hard time... i'm in brooklyn and use earthlink, which is a front for time warner, which is the same, i think, as road runner... and i use a router and don't have the same issue...

i think looking into the mac address thing is great idea...
another option is to look to see if there are firmware updates for the router, 'cos, who knows, maybe the firmware it shipped with was unstable...

i would also, when your connection goes down, check the connection between your computer and the router by going to the router's ip address (192.168.something.something... should be in your router's docs... probably 192.168.2.1 or something) and seeing if you get the router login stuffs...

mess around with the connection types (static ip, dynamic [probably this], pppoe [if you've got a login and password for roadrunner])...

that's carazy at any rate and i wish you the best of luck... just hate stuff like that... are you just using the router to connect multiple machines to one connection? are you using wireless or is it wired?
  • Lagg-Alot
  • Born
  • Born
  • Lagg-Alot

Post 3+ Months Ago

1) Yes I clicked the "MAC Address Clone" so the router sends the cable company the MAC of my PC.

2) I did state the I have updated all router firmware. I am sharing Internet connection between 3 PCs and all my equipment is hard wired.

3) I have a buddy that lives in the same area as me using the same Cable Provider (TWCNYC Time Warner Cable New York City) and he uses a linksys router and never gets disconnected. So I asked what are you doing different than me?

Answer: He also has VOIP Telephone Service provided be same company thought his modem. So I called and and placed my order for Internet Phone Service to be added to my account and wouldn't you know it. As soon as my order was placed (the phone has not been even hooked up yet) and my internet connection is running faster and smoother, with no disconnects in 2 days so far. I have been playing Video Games over the internet for 6 hours without interruption last night and will play all day today to confirm my suspictions. Thank you all and have a great day.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts