Problem.

• Clepto
  • Clepto

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well I have been searching this wonderful land we call the internet for about a week now and this is the only place i have found that looks like a bunch of professionals.

I have a big problem and i am hoping you guys can help. I am not entirely sure it is a hardware problem though and i couldn't find anywhere else to put it.

Let me start off with a little story;

Little Clepto came home from work excited as could be about turning on his computer and gaming with his long time internet friends. He hit the power button and the blue and green LED's in his custom built PC flared to life. Sitting down in his chair he grins excitedly as XP goes through it's welcome screen. Suddenly the computer shuts down! Clepto is devastated. But not to worry. He is a somewhat tech-savvy guy so he attempts to trouble-shoot.

After ruling out all other possibilities Clepto decides to replace his CPU. However seeing as the young man had car/insurance payments and some rent to pay he had to wait until he could save enough of his measly dollars to buy a new one.

Eventually the day comes where Clepto gets his CPU and installs it. He turns on the PC and it glows and hums just as he remembered it. The welcome screen appears and Clepto grows nervous. But thank the computer gods the computer doesn't shut down! Clicks on all of his pre-gaming applications such as X-fire, Ventrilo, Steam, and a few others but none of them are able to connect to the internet.

Clepto laughs at himself and goes through the motions of setting up/accessing his wireless network. After getting done he once again clicks on his pre-gaming applications and then opens up his web browser to catch up on all that he has missed.

Upon finishing many forum threads, private messages, and e-mails he finds that the applications still did not connect to the internet.

So my question is this my friends: What would allow Internet Explorer, and Firefox to connect but not allow anything else attempting to access the internet?

Many thanks in advance,
Clepto
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

The built-in Windows Firewall.
  • Clepto
  • Clepto

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry kind sir but that is not the problem. I found a funny thing out though. Everything works when I am at my brothers house. So i am starting to think it is the router. However we have the same router. Nothing has changed since the computer went down so i don't know why the router would poop on my computer.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Clepto laughs at himself and goes through the motions of setting up/accessing his wireless network. After getting done he once again clicks on his pre-gaming applications and then opens up his web browser to catch up on all that he has missed.

Is it a wireless router? Could you have skipped a step or two when you were setting up your wireless network? Did you forward the necessary ports through your router for the gaming applications?

Are you 100% sure the windows firewall is off?
  • Clepto
  • Clepto

Post 3+ Months Ago

grinch2171 wrote:
Is it a wireless router? Could you have skipped a step or two when you were setting up your wireless network? Did you forward the necessary ports through your router for the gaming applications?

As I said before. Nothing has changed on my HDD or router since the CPU went kaput. And since everything worked fine before the problems I don't see how it could be the router considering nothing has changed.

grinch2171 wrote:
Are you 100% sure the windows firewall is off?

Yes I am. And still nothing works.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was just checking since you made the comment of setting up your wireless.

Other than those items I really don't have any other suggestions.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts