Problem upgrading CPU/Motherboard

• Blanko
  • Born
  • Born
  • Blanko

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am in the process of upgrading these so that I can keep up with upcoming games. I have all of the necessary parts, and I read a letter from the place I bougt the motherboard from, and it said not to put a used HD in with the new motherboard/cpu. Meaning that I have to buy a new hard drive. I don't really have a problem with this if it is absolutely necessary, but is it possible to upgrade these without losing all of my junk? I have like 24 games installed and don't want to have to redo that. Plus, I have two hard drives, one with Windows 2000, and one that is just auxilery, but has game info that is installed on the first. HELP NEEDED!!

Ideally I want to just keep my windows 2000 install and all of that, but I am afraid to just plug it in.

Thanks in advance :P

EDIT:
I just noticed that AMD says that to get SSE you need to reinstall windows (I am going from an Athlon T-Bird to an Athlon XP, so I probably need to do this, huh? :P) Still, is there anyway to do this while saving my e-mail messages and passwords from outlook? That is really my main concern (well, not mine, my moms)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• TheBecoming
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • TheBecoming

Post 3+ Months Ago

First try booting your computer. If your computer starts Windows ok then your good to go. If you get inaccessible boot device (Blue or Black Screen) Then do the following.

You will need your Win2k Disk. Put your new computer together with your old hard drive in it. (Which it also doesn't matter if you have a used hard drive or new hard drive. That computer store if full of crap. Unless your hard drive is coming from a 386.) Boot From Win2k CD. Run Repair (I think). Don't Format! or Delete any partitions!

Windows should work.
  • bigcheeez
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bigcheeez

Post 3+ Months Ago

Microsoft says that as long as all your hardware components are on its HCL (hardware compatibility list) then you should be ok.

During every boot up windows is supposed to detect all hardware - you may need to install drivers for the new motherboard, but it should boot.

I agree that your computer guy is full of it.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have the model names/numbers from the HDD & Motherboard handy ?

The shop may not be "full of crap", though it will more than likely work your old HDD may be a bottle neck for the new system depending on transfer speed.
The shop doesn't want you calling them & complaining that they sold you a crap system when it's actually your old HDD slowing things down.

Though it sounds like they gave you an extreely vague explainition, they were mearly trying to make sure you get the most out of your system while saving headaches in the process :wink:

//edit, being this is to be a gaming system, you ought to check into your HDDs transfer rate compared to your motherboards abilities.
  • TheBecoming
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • TheBecoming

Post 3+ Months Ago

When upgrading a MotherBoard on a Win2k system if the board isn't a similar make and model of your old board, more then likely you will receive inaccessable boot drive. This is due to the HD drivers.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts