XP problem when disconnecting second hard drive

• karlcatt
  • karlcatt
  • Loc: London, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have WinXP installed on a 250Gb drive. Subsequent to that installation I then installed a second 120Gb hard drive and made it visible through the Computer Management console. This second drive is showing hardware problems and so I took it out. Now my system will not boot unless it is present. If I try to boot without it there it gives 'Read error'.
Any ideas???
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• bigcheeez
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bigcheeez

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try going into the bios and disabling that second drive. Your system may still think that its there.

What model / brand of computer?
  • karlcatt
  • karlcatt

Post 3+ Months Ago

I tried that with no luck. So if I take out the second drive I get 'A read error has occurred. Press Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart.'

Even if I take the drive out of the Bios then it still needs to be physically there to boot the computer into XP, even though XP was installed on the other drive. This second drive has nothing at all on it, I have just reformatted it!!!

The computer is no particular make. It has an Nvidia 5200 motherboard, the first bootable hard disk is a Western Digital, and the second hard disk is Maxtor.

??
  • Lefty
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: North Dakota, United States

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you have a RAID array set up, or disk spanning??
  • karlcatt
  • karlcatt

Post 3+ Months Ago

No ... no Raid array or disk spanning. Just two hard disks wired into the primary IDE.
  • Lefty
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: North Dakota, United States

Post 3+ Months Ago

Boot with the hard drive in, remove it under the disk managment so windows won't look for the drive. Shut down, remove the disk, ensure your jumpers are correct on the new drive (250). Make sure on your jumper settings (on the back of the drive)...in the BIOS it should be set to auto and find no drive there and keep going...

BTW is this drive SATA??
  • karlcatt
  • karlcatt

Post 3+ Months Ago

Problem solved ... thanks for the help. The problem seems to be with the drive racks that the hard disks are installed in. Both drives sit in Qtec Basiccool drive bays, and I get that error when they are in those bays. If I take them out of the bays then the error disappears. Also the "Delayed write" errors I was getting when copying stuff from the primary to the secondary drive have now gone. So although I can't explain why those drive bays gave a problem, at least I can dump them and wire up the drives directly ... I'll just attach fans to the drives I guess to keep them cool.

Thanks again.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts