problem while restarting the computer

  • venella
  • Born
  • Born
  • venella
  • Posts: 1

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi everyone
I have aproblem starting my computer (windows 2000). :(
it does not boot from a CD rom, so I used a windows 98 bootable floppy instead. It goes to the DOS mode but i am unable to locate the C drive.
Does that mean the hard drive has crashed??? :?:
-Venella
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Posts: ?
  • Loc: Ozzuland
  • Status: Online

Post 3+ Months Ago

  • TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 816
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did you set your boot sequence to boot off the CD ROM first?
  • Yassinje
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • Yassinje
  • Posts: 9

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think you have to entre to the Bios, and check if your Hard disk is detected , if yes, go to Boot section and select the CDROM as first Boot, save setting and restart with your bootable CD...
enjoy installing!
Good luck .
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Posts: 1774
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your Boot sequence doesn't have to be setup so that the CDROM device is first. As long as your CDROM is before your HDD-0 you will be able to boot from a CD.

I.E.

FDD-0
CDROM
HDD-0
  • TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 816
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Enigmatic wrote:
Your Boot sequence doesn't have to be setup so that the CDROM device is first. As long as your CDROM is before your HDD-0 you will be able to boot from a CD.

I.E.

FDD-0
CDROM
HDD-0


Yes, providing there's no disk in your floppy drive.
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 2350
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

venella wrote:
It goes to the DOS mode but i am unable to locate the C drive.
Does that mean the hard drive has crashed??? :?:
-Venella


No, Windows 98 can not read an NTFS partition. Your data is probably still there, you just need to follow the previous suggestions and get your Windows 2000 CD to boot.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Posts: 1774
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

lucassix wrote:
venella wrote:
It goes to the DOS mode but i am unable to locate the C drive.
Does that mean the hard drive has crashed??? :?:
-Venella


No, Windows 98 can not read an NTFS partition. Your data is probably still there, you just need to follow the previous suggestions and get your Windows 2000 CD to boot.


Supposedly there is a driver somewhere on the Microsoft website that allows 98 to read files on a NTFS partition.

I have never used or tryed it before so I can't say whether it works or not. Could be something else to look into.

TomK wrote:
Yes, providing there's no disk in your floppy drive.


Thats true, but most people remeber to remove diskettes before booting. That said, I do forget now and then :oops:

Post Information

  • Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 37 guests
  • You cannot post new topics in this forum
  • You cannot reply to topics in this forum
  • You cannot edit your posts in this forum
  • You cannot delete your posts in this forum
  • You cannot post attachments in this forum
 
 

© 1998-2014. Ozzu® is a registered trademark of Unmelted, LLC.