Problem wih Slaved Drive

• coolio49085

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey.

Previous to this i have been able to get slaves and any other drive to work. Recently i was working on my friends computer and had to reinstall windows because his computer would freeze at the welcome to windows screen. His computer was fixed but there was one small problem...the computer would not read the slave drive right and it would say "error loading os". When i started it without the slave it worked fine. My assumptions were either it was a problem with the hard drive (that was ruled out because i tried another hard drive and it still wouldnt load) , there was a problem in the cable or it was a problem with the motherboard. And funny enough, i put a slave dvd drive in my computer and it would load.

Any thoughts?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is this slaved drive a hard drive or optical drive?
  • b22
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • b22
  • Loc: Tanzania

Post 3+ Months Ago

have u checked the cls, master and slave setting at the hard drives? wt about the bios? wt bios is the computer using? are the drivers automaticaly ditected at boot up. or you have set them manualy?
  • coolio49085

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes the jumper settings on the harddrive are correct.
And it is a harddrive (not optical)

I just fixed the problem but I kinda did it "weirdly". The computer wouldnt read that there were any drives in if i had the slave drive to the second IDE port and the master was on the first IDE port (which is the right way). Then I tried it switched and it read both drives but the slave was the primary and the master was the slave (which had the OS on it).
:idea: So I entered setup and changed it to boot from the slave.

And I also put a different IDE cable in it.

So, I really dont know what was going on. :D

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts